Help on how to : Shed wiring.

Sponsored Links
Right electrician came round and told me that the socket I was intending to use used to be the boiler socket which supposingly sat above the sink.

So he just isolated the socket by tripping the fuse at the C/Unit.

As its rented accomodation and we can do whatever to the house (checked with the landlord).... is there any easy fix for this.

As when you take the socket off the wall theres the L N and E cable there.??

So he just isolated the socket by tripping the fuse at the C/Unit.
So that socket is the only one on that circuit?

Is it a radial? What cable size and device rating?

As its rented accomodation and we can do whatever to the house (checked with the landlord)....
I would be gobsmacked if "do whatever to the house" included dangerous electrical work.

Or work which was illegal, but I don't know what the law in Scotland says.

is there any easy fix for this.

As when you take the socket off the wall theres the L N and E cable there.??
You need to check that they are actually connected by doing continuity tests.

You then need to measure the earth fault loop impedance at the socket, add on the expected R1+R2 for the cable to the shed and the cables there to check that it will be safe before you start.

You then need to find a way to join the cable at that switch to armoured cable which you run in a trench to the shed and join it there to the cables in the shed. The easiest way would probably be to put a waterproof enclosure on the outside of the house, CW gland on the bottom, SWA cores through the wall and crimped onto the internal cable. Same idea at the shed end.

You'll need to use a banjo or earth nut on the glands to ensure the armour is earthed.

See the Wiki article on working with SWA.

Then when it's done you need to do continuity, insulation resistance, polarity and fault-loop tests at the shed.

So yes - reasonably easy if you're competent.

Sponsored Links
I recently had the same questions, sort of, I believe you'll find all you need to know here:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=264072

Your options are to run it from the CU or preferably run it as a sub main, you can't run it off a kitchen socket and you can't run it without armoured cable. Also, you can't run it, as in you personally. There's quite a lot to it and you need an electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back