31 Jul 2012
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone offer me advice.

We are currently having my bathroom upgraded, and after the guy who has fitted our toilet, there is water coming from around the bottom on the toilet, looks like it’s from the waste pipe connecting to the toilet. My fitter guy has said if the leak persists, he will use PLUMBERS MAIT, but I’ve searched on line if see if A. is this stuff is any goof & B. is this a permanent or just temporary fix.

I no nothing about plumbing what so ever. So looking for some basic advice.
Sponsored Links
Its not exactly something you would want on a new installation

If its leaking now, it will persist so you would be better off replacing the pan connector (if thats possible).

It also depends what you contracted him to do.
Sponsored Links
What could be the problem here is that the pan connector has a number of rings which make the seal in the soil pipe. If, once the pan connector is pushed into a position, if it is then pulled back out a bit the rings can distort inside the soil pipe losing the seal.
You could try pulling the pan connector fully out and then pushing back in again. Hope you can follow that lot.

Plumbers mate is a bodge imho.

well said landy - there must be hundreds of multikwiks that have the seals wrong - I`ve seen a few :evil:
Multikwik make 2 popular straight pan conns, the Number 1 and the Number 2. Everyone goes for the number 1 which is designed for old P and S trap pans, not HO Europans, which have a slightly smaller outlet.

If a No 1 is fitted to a Europan, it only takes a small mis-alignment to potentially cause a leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local