Help Operating CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,
A friend of mine has just moved in to new house and is having trouble operating the central heating. We think the system is a back boiler but would like to know how to use it properly. Any guidance appreciated. Under the the fire pictured there is a red button.

boiler.jpg

Sponsored Links
Set the on and off times on the timeclock, set switches for heating and hot water as appropriate ie timed/off/on. The water will take an hour or so to heat from cold. You may also find a thermostat in the hallway.

Get the thing serviced asap by a corgi heating engineer.

Back boilers are the most dangerous thing you can have in your house.

A proper service and safety inspection will take at least a couple of hours.

I always reccomend fitting a carbon monoxide alarm.

And get a jacket around the cylinder.

and possibly consider replacing the cylinder with a properly-insulated one with the heating coil at the bottom, not bodged through the immersion heater tapping! (I knew such things existed but never saw one before!)

On the other hand - if you're replacing the cylinder, it would be worthwhile looking at the state of the whole system, with a major refurbish the most cost-effective option.....

You would be surprised croydoncorgi, the island has countless systems like this.

Still what do you expect, this place is 20+ years behind the times from what i've experienced since living here. :confused:
(I knew such things existed but never saw one before!)

Sponsored Links
croydoncorgi said:
! (I knew such things existed but never saw one before!)

And I`ve fitted one :LOL: .....30 years ago.......and I could take you to the house ;) :LOL: :cool:

Thanks Guys, it was serviced just before he moved in.

What do you have to do with fire? Does the pilot light (assuming thats what it is) under the fire have to be on to heat the water etc?
Would he have to light the pilot light each time or will system ignite it automatically?

Thanks

I would still advise you have it serviced yourself - -then you can see it being done. Previous owner will have got the cheapest quote going.

I went to a house recently on 3* insurance cover to investigate disputed ventillation problems for the landlord. Tenant had been there 7 years - he had never seen the fire front taken off before.

Yes the pilot must be lit for the boiler to operate (it burns continously)

On demand from the heating controls the gas valve is energised and the pilot flame ignites the main burner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back