Help ! Pin/air holes to fill in old plaster wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
1st post for me on here & nice Forum by the way!

Problem I have is an old (1939 built house) bedroom wall/s that have pin holes in them in patches, It used to have wall paper but we have pulled it off & sanded the walls smooth (filling as we went). The holes can be described as wood worm like (only a mm or so) & a couple of coats of Emulsion (1st coat watered down a little) & one coat of one coat paint (applied by a roller) & they are still there.

I'm thinking of trying Polycell base coat as it looks like it may hide/fill such defects. There is too many to fill by normal means as it would be like starting again. :cry:

Any other suggestions gratefully received :D

Cheers,

Co.

Sponsored Links
some people on the forum talk about a product called 'smooth over'.
i've never used it myself but some say it's easy to use and does exactly what it says on the tin!

i think it comes supplied with its own applicator. the final coat can be sanded smooth. apparently.

Thanks for reply, To give some more info, i have used smooth over as the walls were in pretty good condition & it was only a large number of small nicks digs, dents etc & a few cracks that were the problem.
The wall paper just pulled of in whole sheets because it had been on about 25 years & the house got central heating about 10/15 years ago which has dried it all out. It left some glue on the walls & this was in the wall paper pattern.

I started off by washing the walls with Polycell Wallpaper Stripper (to dissolve the paste) & then with lightly sanding the whole room.

I then filled the nicks, digs, dents & cracks with Polycell smoothover & then rubbed down the walls, went back over any area’s needing more filling & then once smooth washed the walls with Sugar soap.

I left the pin holes as they were as
1, there was just too much to fill as I would have had to skim the whole room & 2 the walls were generally pretty good so didn’t want to go down this route straight away….but if needs must !

Then moved onto a watered down emulsion which is where I am now, pretty good walls for smoothness (even in daylight or halogen) but a few hundred pin holes spread out all over. My top coat test was only on small patches with pin holes to see if they would fill.

I have bought some of the Polycell base coat so I’ll try that & was recommended by a guy at B&Q the Polycell crack free ceiling paint but I didn’t buy as I was put off by the flexible paint bit as I don’t think it will too good if it ever needs sanding & also wasn’t sure about painting over it as he said it would be ok on the walls & I would have to paint over it as I don’t want a completely white room.

Thinking of trying the Problem wall treatment next.

Sorry for the long ramblings but this is the first test room & I’ve got a whole house to do but as its only ever had one owner its in very good condition (no chunks of plaster falling off etc) only small marks so far.

Thanks for any further ideas,

Cheers,

Co.

Sponsored Links
Arhhhhhhh ! :evil: :evil: :evil:

My base coat test didn't cover/fill any of the pin holes so its onto a try of Problem wall

if that doesn't work then its time for a re-think :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back