Help please as front door won't open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone tell me how to open my front door as the snib fell off inside as I always have the snib on for safety reasons when I'm at home and now I can't open my front door. I can get out of my back garden so I tried to open the door from the outside with my key and it won't open. I'm trying to avoid paying an expensive locksmith and wonder if anyone can help???

Many thanks in advance.

Jo

Sponsored Links
can you post some photos please.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

Snib means different things.

Where is the snib in relation to the keyhole? Does it slide or turn?

Is it a plastic or wooden door?

Is it a yale-type lock, or a lock with a Eurocylinder, where the key looks like a yale but the lock is inside the door with a roughly oval cylinder sticking through on each side?

Can you see a maker's name on the lock?

Hi there

It's a yale lock yes and when I put the snib down which locks the door and stops the handle from turning. I know it sounds a bit vague sorry.

It doesn't have a make on it and it's the lock which can't be locked with a key just the snib which prevents the handle from turning. As the snib was down it locks the door so when the snib fell off, the door is now locked and I can't unlock it with a key.

I hope this helps. Thank you so much for replying.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jo

Any chance of a photo? It sounds like a nightlatch.

Is it a wooden door?

Can you identify a similar lock on here?
http://www.screwfix.com/search?search=nightlatch#sort_by=price

Some of the oldest/cheapest ones have three screws visible facing into the house, to take it off, but more modern ones have concealed fixing and two screws hidden on the edge of the door that you can't reach when it is shut.

If there is a hole where the snib used to be there may be a mechanism that could be moved with a very small screwdriver. It will be much easier to help if you can post a close-up photo of the lock and the loose snib.

Sponsored Links
another thought
if the bolt is only a little bit into the keep you may be able to lever the slack out between lock and keep

other options are grinding /cutting the top off the hinge pins and knocking them out
all depends on door type and lock type

Hi there

I did what you said and used a very small pin and managed to get the door open from the hole left by the snib falling off. The latch however would not move so I can't use this lock now but thanks to you I have ordered the yale 85 nightlatch to be delivered tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your help. You gave great advice and I really appreciate it. I would still be locked in if it wasn't for you so cheers.

Jo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back