Help please! Bathroom Mirror with shaver socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to install a mirror with shaver socket into a top floor bathroom. I was told i can connect into the nearest plug socket which should have a link on the back, i was told to use the grey cable! Am i on the right track here?
Also wondered, can i connect into a round junction box in the loft, if i find one?
Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you want it done this side of Christmas click here, because you seem to be very vague and lacking in basic knowledge, and that's not a good foundation for electrical work at the best of times, let alone notifiable work in bathrooms.

If you want to DIY then you need to start learning about basic household electrics, how circuits are wired, cable choices, fusing, cable routes, regulatory requirements, safe isolation, installation methods......

I've no reason to suspect any of it is beyond you, but you aren't going to pick it up in a day or two.

thanks for the vote of confidence! Realise i don't have the knowledge, thats why i'm on DIYnot.com.
I am aware of the Part P regs, i'm actually doing the course in Feb. Until then i have to complete my current bathroom installation which includes a shaver socket, still doing the job next week so any advice on how to do it would be most appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm normally not one to try and discourage people, but by saying things like "I was told to use the grey cable" it is clear you don't know what you're doing, and if you haven't notified your LABC in advance about the work you will be in violation of the building regulations doing it. I would strongly suggest you get a professional in to do this for you (it won't cost that much, and will ensure that it's all correctly installed and tested etc)...

However, in general, shaver sockets get wired in to the lighting circuit. You need to know what the fuse/breaker is on it to ensure it's sufficient, make sure that the lighting circuit is RCD'd (everything in a bathroom has to be RCD protected under 17th edition regs), and ensure the shaver socket is BS EN 61558-2-5 compliant. Generally for a lighting circuit 1.0mm or 1.5mm T&E would be the cable to use, but it depends on the breaker on the circuit, and the route taken by the cable etc.

If you do want to wire it to a ring main, then it would need to be wired via a fused connection unit, wired either as an extension to the ring, or as a spur. Again, make sure the ring main is RCD'd (or if not, you need to put an RCD protected spur in)...

thanks for advice, i will call a sparky for a quote. See what they say. Won't attempt if prices reasonable... so far the sparkys around swansea have been naughty with there quotes on other small jobs. Lets see.

Perhaps you should save up all your small jobs to make it more worthwhile for an electrician.

Won't attempt if prices reasonable... so far the sparkys around swansea have been naughty with there quotes on other small jobs.

Perhaps you are simply unaware of the requirements, especially in a bathroom? It may not be quite as small a job as you think.

Also, from the wording of your posts this sounds like a job carried out as part of a trade, or for profit. If I were you I would carefully check the wording of your Public Liability insurance before you carry out work outside your understanding.

I am aware of the Part P regs, i'm actually doing the course in Feb.
Again - this is not a judgement on your fundamental competence, or capacity, but on the current extent of your knowledge and the likely extent of it by February:

Good luck - you'll need it - I fear you will really struggle on that course to understand most of it.

Also, since you're aware of the Building Regulations you'll be aware that the course (which I'm assuming is the EAL Domestic Installer NVQ) won't make any difference to your status regarding notification - you'll still have to notify in advance.

The only way you'll get out of that is if you register with a scheme, and if you're planning that then I'm inclined agree with dingbat's conclusion - you aren't DIYing in your own bathroom. If so it's utterly shameful of you to be taking money from customers when you are clearly incompetent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back