Help please need some advice on CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
I am a nuclear engineer that is retraining for a new life in civvie street, I have completed the Part P course but have not registered with any one yet as i am not sure it is the job for me, I have also done the 17th edition too, My qusetion is, i am upgrading my kitchen and need to fit a elec induction hob and a elec double oven. i currently cook on gas. the kitchen company have said the oven and hob need to come off a seperate supply is this right. I so i need to change the CU as it is very old with no more room. Can i do this, i have not done the inspect and test course but feel it is not out side of my skills. do i need to have some one else cert it or can i do it and tell building control. hope this makes sence.
cheers

Nige

Sponsored Links
1) You must notify building control, pay their fee, fill in their forms. Do this before you start and see what inspections they require

2) If you are thinking of joining a scheme, you could use this as one of the jobs they assess you on, so it is worth doing. This is entirely separate from (1) above though if you tell your BCO he may take it into consideration.

You will not get anyone else to sign off work you have done as their own.

Your design skills are too weak if you do not know how to design a supply for an electric hob and oven.

don't answer him, it's obviously a P*** take..

a nuclear engineer that's done Part P and his 17th but doesn't know if he wants to be an electrician?

also if he's done the part P he should know what is and isn't notifiable..

Your design skills are too weak if you do not know how to design a supply for an electric hob and oven.

sorry I dont understand what you mean by this, i am happy that i know what to do but have looked at the current drawn and it does not exceed 32amps, why would it need a seperate supply to the one i already have?

thanks

Sponsored Links
ColJack look i am a nuclear engineer in the navy and have been for 23 years i do not wish to stay in the nuclear world as it means relocating from my home or working away. yes i have done these courses as part of my ressetlement for the forces but like i said dont know if it is the next job for me and as the courses are free it is better to do some thing. i do know what is notifiable and not. i was asking if i can do it as i have not registered as part p with any body yet.

i am happy that i know what to do but have looked at the current drawn and it does not exceed 32amps, why would it need a seperate supply to the one i already have?
the hob is a large fixed load

is your existing circuit a ring for sockets or a dedicated radial? What other loads are on it?

If you want to do it yourself and you are not already a member of a self-certification scheme you will have to notify Building Control in advance and follow their process.

hi

it is a dedicated radial, the is one socket outlet on it, nothing else.

thanks

A 32A radial feeding one socket? That's unusual, why was it installed? What size is the cable?

A 32A radial feeding one socket? That's unusual, why was it installed? What size is the cable?

Could be redundant cooker cct

But even if it is the current carrying capacity of the cable needs to be determined as induction hob and oven I guess will require more than 32A.

sorry thats what i thought you was asking, it is the old supply to the cooker area. it will need changing as cooker in different place now.
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back