Help please: What is this under the floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to houses and DIY. I am currently looking to run some cables through from the first floor to the ground floor. It's inside a cupboard, so I don't really care about the look of it.

When I pulled up the floorboard I saw this underneath. The ridges appear to be made of 'cement'. I was wondering what they are and what their purpose is (if any)

View media item 76900
I presume this is part of the ceiling below, so I am planning to just drill through into the cupboard below - but I just wanted to check before I did anything!

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Looks like plaster which has been forced through the lath below and acts as a key as the ceiling was being plastered
It's perfectly normal and actually holds the ceiling from falling down so don't go breaking too much of it off.

Drill up from below, not from above, very gently! OR whole chunks will come down. On your head! :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, really appreciate the quick response.

I'll put my hard hat on :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back