Help Please........ What's Wrong ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you guy's can help/advise :) Just over a week ago, I removed the kitchen rad in order to plaster the wall behind it, at the same time, removing the bathroom rad so the wall could be tiled. I replaced them both yesterday, adding inhibitor and topping up the system, released the air in all rads and run the heating to make sure everything ran o.k. ( no leaks ect. ) pressure at 1.5 everything seemed to be fine. The wife started to run the bath last night, but said that the hot water had started to run only warm. I turned the tap off, turned it back on, it instantly ran hot, and sure enough it soon only ran warm, I did this a few times, sometimes it even ran cold. I told the wife to turn the hot tap on whilst I went and viewed the boiler, tap on, boiler fired up o.k., instant hot water, but soon ran cold/warm again :?: :?: :?: although when the hot tap ran only warm/cold, the boiler still ran as normal, turned the tap off, the boiler shut down as it should. Now then, whilst we were carrying out this little test, I noticed and felt the house getting warmer :eek: sure enough, ALL the the rads were HOT, the heating had not previously been on, only earlier in the day when I checked the system after re-connecting the 2 rads, I can't understand it at all :eek: :?: :eek: :?: So !!!!, I left it untill this morning untill everything had cooled down, got up (YAWN) turned the hot tap on in the bathroom, instantly hot, then warm, and sure enough, ALL the rads started to get hot whilst ever the hot tap was running, CH is switched off, but still they get hot, *%$£@"# :?: Pressure is still o.k. but now I'm confused. The wife wants to instantly call out an engineer/plumber (mega bucks), but I thought I'd consult you guy's first. We live in a flat, so completely draining/refilling the system and starting again would be difficult. The boiler and system is 2 years old ( Vaillant Turbomax Pro 28e )

Sponsored Links
Thanks guy's :) I'll go about pricing up a new one. The wife has just commented..... " I hope your gonna get an engineer in to come and replace it " Women eh !!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks to Peter and Weargas for giving their time to answer my problem. Another problem I have is....... I've phoned 2 engineers and a plumber today for a quote to replace and fit a new diverter valve, first response....... "how do you know it's the diverter valve" ? so I explained the problem....... "that does'nt mean it's that valve !!!! it could be anything" so I suggested him coming to take a look and give me a quote, answer....... "not worth my time mate". So, that put an end to that.

Second call....... I explained the problem, answer....... "I'm a bit busy this week" "call me back next week, I should have more time"

Third call....... I explained the problem, answer........ " it's gonna cost yer £300 to £400 to sort that out mate" I wont repeat my answer to him.

So basically, it looks like I'll have to sort it myself, I'm posting this to try and find out if any of you guy's can put me on to any suppliers or web site that I could locate this type of valve ????

Thanks........ Fourby :)

which area are you in? you'd be cheaper finding a local heating supplier to save on the postage. vaillant part number 25-2457.

if you want to fit it yourself drop me an email and i'll write you a detailed 'how to'. it's a very easy operation and you don't have to touch the gas side of things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back