Help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice, please. I have taken down my old light fitting (obviously without noting what wires went where) and I now have 2 cables hanging from the ceiling, each with 1 Red, 1 Black, 1 copper cable protruding which I believe is the Earth cable

The light I need to fit requires one Live & 1 Neutral feed, presumably from a \\\'Loop\\\', but I need to know how to run these wires through the loop.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Yes - look in the For Reference topic - choc-full-o-info on lighting circuits, and fitting the sort of light you mention.

Any other lights that come on with this light??

If not, then you I would say that it is a standard loop in system (85% sure :LOL: )

Both reds into a choc block on their own.

Bare earths, sleeved and into the lights earth terminal.

One black will be a switched live, and should be sleeved red. You will need a multimeter to determine which black is the live! Look for very low ohms between one red and one black.

The other black will be neutral.

No other lights come with this. The light I bought is a chandelier and it came with a terminal block.

Do I connect both reds to the brown wire on the lamp?
And the black wire (live ) to the blue wire on the lamp?
What do I do with the black remaining wire?

Sponsored Links
hi gibsie, you connect red/red, then connect one of the blacks to live=brown then the other to neutral=blue, your problem is which one is which you could do with a continuity tester and test from the black in your switch to the black at your light fitting, but with the power off as you have a permanent live in the switch. if in doubt get a sparki to have a look.

best of luck :D

Hi i connected red/red to brown and black to blue - the light comes on when I turn the mains on but I cannot turn the light of from the wall switch

Any ideas? Cant afford a sparky .. any help would be useful

Your problem is you have connected the non switched live to the light fitting, this is bypassing the switch.
reds should be connected together in a chock block.
one black is the neutral & is connected to the blue of the light fitting(by the sounds of it you already have this connected ok).
the other black (should have red sleeving on it) is the switched live & connects to the brown of the light fitting.
now try the switch

Try and be a little helpful !!! OOOOH i suffer from stress!! you JOKE

gibsie98 said:
Try and be a little helpful !!!
How much help do you need?

READ IT AGAIN said:
connect red/red,

then connect one of the blacks to live=brown

then the other to neutral=blue
But did you do that?

gibsie98 said:
Hi i connected red/red to brown

and black to blue
You asked a question, you were given the answer, told how to connect everything, and then went and did something different!

There really is no more help that we can give you.....

Id already done the connection and posted the message before i got the reply !! Tu eres un cojudo con la ping entre el culo !!!

Thanks JONESY! for YOUR help

gibsie98 said:
Id already done the connection and posted the message before i got the reply !!
And somehow we're supposed to have guessed that, are we?

Tu eres un cojudo con la ping entre el culo !!!
So you ask for help, don't wait for an answer, do something wrong because you are ignorant and can't be bothered to wait for an answer, and then when it is pointed out to you that the answer had in fact been given, you react with obscene abuse.

What a nasty person you are.

Do you think it is going to make you welcome if you have questions in the future?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back