3-core + earth into a ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice, please. I have taken down my old light fitting (obviously without noting what wires went where) and I now have 2 cables hanging from the ceiling, each with 1 Red, 1 Blue, 1 Yellow and an Earth cable protruding.

The light I need to fit requires one Live & 1 Neutral feed, presumably from a \\\'Loop\\\', but I need to know how to run these wires through the loop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike (UK) :cry:

Sponsored Links
lesterthejester said:
Any suggestions?

depends how who wired it, wired it.

ideally you need a muti meter to establish what is what, or you need to gain access to the cables to see what they are connected to

Do you have any more lights on the same switch?
If so check how this one is connected.
What cables do you have at the swicht that contrals this light?

Sponsored Links
Does (did) this light have two way switches? If so, look in both of them and note what goes where.

There are actually three distinct ways to wire two way light switches but one of them should not be used because you can end up with live on both sides of the bulb. Given what you've got in that rose, it's just possible that somebody used it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back