Bathroom sensor wiring help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This doesn't seem to work after wiring how appears obvious, please help....

I have 3 earths(yellow & green), 3 lives (2 red, 1 brown), and 3 neutrals (2 black 1 blue) all to fit into the light fitting which has 1 live 1 earth and 1 neutral. Very confusing. Any ideas?

When I fit loop together all lights upstairs work, I can add the light to this too and it works but as soon as I attach the light sensor the breakers trip.

Don't understand why light sensor has blue neutral, brown live, and yellow and gold earth????

Please someone help

Sponsored Links
It could be because one of the wires is a switch wire, when the sensor is off its ok but when on it makes a circuit - pop!

it possibly should be wired by joining 3 reds together (perm lives, one in, one out - to rest of house and one to switch/sensor) then two blacks into neutral of fitting, and one black with id of red attached into live of fitting fitting and dont forget cpc's must be connected/terminated

i think maybe your a little confused as by drawing posted on your other post it has a cable with 2 reds which is the switch wire, quite often an electrician will use a reb and black twin for this and should mark up the returning black from the switch with a piece of red sleeving or at least red tape

From reading this thread, and your other one too, it sounds as though someone has replaced the original pull switch with a PIR sensor, and have rejigged the wiring to use the CPC as the switched live, so as soon as the sensor switches on, it is putting switched live down the CPC which is rightly connected to earth at the light fitting.

If this is the case, you have two options. You can either ditch the PIR in favour of a pull switch, and restore the wiring back to how it was originally, or you can rewire the cable from the light to the PIR with 3 core and earth cable, and connect everything up properly.

If you post a couple of clear well focussed photos of the wiring at your light and also at your PIR, we should be able to say for certain whats going on, and help you to put the wiring right with which ever option you decide to go for from the choices above.

Sponsored Links
Dont forget to check whether the sensor actually needs a neutral as some dont and work just as a switch would with live in and live out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back