Ceiling rose wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace a ceiling light that must be earthed. The wiring coming from the ceiling is 3wires, 2 black & 1 that looks yellow but could be white. The wires exit from metal conduit. With the light that i just removed the earth was not connected but I think it should have been. The ceiling wiring had the two black wires going together to the blue neutral on the light, and the yellow wire going to the brown live wire on the light. How do I earth the new light? was the old light safe?. The wiring from the switch by the way is 2 red wires and an green/yellow earth..Please help I am confused.

Sponsored Links
From what you have said the conduit is your earth, but you check to make sure you continuity.

You will have a fly lead earth at your switch and you need a fly lead earth at your light.

fix an earth cable to the conduit box at the lightfitting via a crimp lug and a 4mm or a 2ba bolt depending on the age of the conduit

Sponsored Links
The wires come from a metal conduit pipe, can I just run an earth wire from the earth terminal on the light and fix it to the outside face of the condiut with say a jubilee clip, would that give me a safe ,suitable earth?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back