Help - Plumbing a Washing Machine into a detached garage? ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me some advice please?

I want to put my washing machine and tumble drier into the garage that is detached from my house.

Info:

I have electrics already wired into the garage and on seperate breakers for safety.

No water as yet but happy to do that and its not a major job to run the pipes albiet a long run, i plan to install the pipes correctly underground and fully insulated.

My problem is the drainage..............

from the back of my garage there is no practical way to run a discharge pipe with fallaway to my drains which are all at the front of the property.

Question.................??

Can i run a pipe with fallaway to the rainwater gully at the front of my garage. This gully has the garage guttering downpipe running into it.

Ideas or answers recieved with thanks.

Regards

Sponsored Links
In answer to the drainage question its a no, im afraid! The washing machine waste must go to the foul sewer, discharging into a surface water drain runs the risk of contaminating a watercourse, and the subsequent wrath of the Environment Agency when its traced back to you.... It is possible this garage gulley drains to a soakaway, but even then i'd be reluctant to put a waste into it.

If you have to put the machine in the garage, then I can only suggest you look at some method of pumping the waste to the foul drains.

A few years back Unitid Utilities rep inspected my property for that very thing.
I'm afraid it classed as foul water and can only go in the foul drain.
Neighbour had his incorrect and had to change it.

Hummmm..........

Second question then is it feasable to dig a sock-away at the back of the garage in the garden?

If so how what sort of specs would i need to use or pointers to where i can find the relevant info on digging a soak-away.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Can`t do, i`m afraid :cry: You could have a cess pool ( sealed tank) . Easy enough to work out how long it would take to fill :idea: and cost to empty. Probably needs Build. Control to OK it.

How far is it to the nearest foul drain? Its an unusual idea, but if you have no alternative then best I can think of. If the machine were to discharge into a holding tank, then use an electric submersible pump to transfer the effluent to the foul drains. Such as this, possibly use blue MDPE water pipe underground as delivery hose to discharge point. http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Gro...ible+Dirty+Water+Pump+550w/d250/sd3220/p35660

Saniflo make a device for this sort of purpose, but unsure as to its practicalities in your situation.

Question 3:

Is it possible to dig in a new drain and pipe to link up with exsisting drains at the front?

Run from back of garage location of wachine machine is about 20 meters to the exsisting drain.

What sort of cost is envolved in doing this is it expensive?

Regards

Where does your kitchen sink discharge into? is it a gully.

Have you tried to find out whether grey water can be used in the garden?

OP,

one thing to check before you start thinking of "outside the box" solutions.

Although the other posters advice is somewaht correct, there may still be a possibilty you could use your rain gully.

Check out where and how you sinks/baths and basins discharge.

If the go into a hopper, then the chances are you have a combined drainage system for foul & rain water, if so you could use your garage gulley.

Rico

Add some food colouring to a bucket of water, and lift the inspection cover on the foul drain. Pour your bucket of coloured water down the gulley you want to use to see if it runs through the foul drain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back