plumbing into a detached garage

If you take the trouble to read the Water Regulations you will see that they apply to ALL water supply pipes connected to a mains supply.

Why not go on the course? Its only about £150. You could learn quite a lot.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
If you take the trouble to read the Water Regulations you will see that they apply to ALL water supply pipes connected to a mains supply.

The water regs and the limit of the water companies responsibilities are very different.

Doctor Drivel said:
The water regs and the limit of the water companies responsibilities are very different.

All I can say is that Thames are concerned about every infringement and send their inspectors to inspect every commercial property and visit any domestic property if they receive any information about any infringement.

Tony

Agile said:
Doctor Drivel said:

All I can say is that Thames are concerned about every infringement and send their inspectors to inspect every commercial property and visit any domestic property if they receive any information about any infringement.

Tony

That doesn't surprise me one bit and they probably dont give a hoot about the millions of gallons leaking underground through their own dodgy pipework systems. Hence the reason also why your pressures are pi@ss poor. (together of course with the same nob heads turning the pressures down to avoid leaks)

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
Doctor Drivel said:

Tony

Their responsibility ends at the stoptap or curtige. They are overstepping their remit.

Hi,

Judging by the reply post, what you are saying is that I have to dig a channel from my kitchen to the garage of about 750mm in depth, then lay the blue polythene pipe from outside my kitchen upto inside my garage.
Then tee off the outside tap so I can still have an outside tap with the other part connected to to the blue pipe. Then I need to tee off the pipe at the other end and connect them to the wm. I don;t have to insulate the pipe.
I already have power in the garage and for drainage I will add a new plaster pipe from my garage to the existing drain that the wm already sends to.
Is this a job for a builder or plumber or can I do this?

Enough!

Doctor Drivel said:
After the stop cock they are not particularly bothered.
I think you will find that they are - obviously backflow, contamination, waste or misuse of water can't happen after a stopatp in your little world.

Doctor Drivel said:
After the stoptap it not the water companies problem.
Not technically their problem, but their responsibility to ensure regulatory compliance and to enforce the regulations.

Doctor Drivel said:
Actually, the Water Regulations are more limited than the Water Companies. For instance, I can (and do) fail plumbing installations that comply with the regulations if I don't think that the standard of work is high enough. If something is poorly installed it can quite easily fail and leak, causing waste of water or risk of contamination.

Doctor Drivel said:
Their responsibility ends at the stoptap or curtige.
I think you are a little confused. Water Company responsibility for repair and maintenance of a pipe ends at the highway boundary.

Doctor Drivel said:
They are overstepping their remit.
That's funny, you really don't know much do you.

Enforcement of the Regulations is the Water Co's remit. They can enter any land, building or premises for the purpose of inspection and enforcement of the regulations.
[s74(4) of the Water Industry Act 1991 (s74 being the part of the act under which the regs are made) states]:
...any person designated in writing for the purposes of this subsection in such manner as may be prescribed may—

(a) enter any premises for the purpose of—

(i) ascertaining whether any provision contained in or made or having effect under this Act with respect to any water fittings or with respect to the waste or misuse of water is being or has been contravened;

(ii) determining whether, and if so in what manner, any power or duty conferred or imposed on any person by regulations under this section should be exercised or performed; or

(iii) exercising any such power or performing any such duty;

or

(b) carry out such inspections, measurements and tests on premises entered by that person or on water fittings or other articles found on any such premises, and take away such samples of water or of any land and such water fittings and other articles, as that person has been authorised to carry out or take away in accordance with regulations under this section.

superted said:
Hi,

Judging by the reply post, what you are saying is that I have to dig a channel from my kitchen to the garage of about 750mm in depth, then lay the blue polythene pipe from outside my kitchen upto inside my garage.
Then tee off the outside tap so I can still have an outside tap with the other part connected to to the blue pipe. Then I need to tee off the pipe at the other end and connect them to the wm. I don;t have to insulate the pipe.
I already have power in the garage and for drainage I will add a new plaster pipe from my garage to the existing drain that the wm already sends to.
Is this a job for a builder or plumber or can I do this?

You can actually lay the pipe much shallower, provided that it is ducted (to protect from damage) and insulated (to protect form frost).

Weigh the cost of insulation and duct (4" soil pipe should do the job) against the effort involved in digging a 2'6" deep trench and make your decision based on what you think is best for your given circumstances.

Agile said:

And to certain situations fed by gravity from a tank that is supplied by a mains feed (leaking fitting causing waste or undue consumption) ;)

BoxBasher said:
Enough!

Doctor Drivel said:
After the stop cock they are not particularly bothered.
I think you will find that they are - obviously backflow, contamination, waste or misuse of water can't happen after a stopatp in your little world.

Doctor Drivel said:
After the stoptap it not the water companies problem.
Not technically their problem, but their responsibility to ensure regulatory compliance and to enforce the regulations.

Doctor Drivel said:
Actually, the Water Regulations are more limited than the Water Companies. For instance, I can (and do) fail plumbing installations that comply with the regulations if I don't think that the standard of work is high enough. If something is poorly installed it can quite easily fail and leak, causing waste of water or risk of contamination.

Doctor Drivel said:
Their responsibility ends at the stoptap or curtige.
I think you are a little confused. Water Company responsibility for repair and maintenance of a pipe ends at the highway boundary.

Doctor Drivel said:
They are overstepping their remit.
That's funny, you really don't know much do you.

Enforcement of the Regulations is the Water Co's remit. They can enter any land, building or premises for the purpose of inspection and enforcement of the regulations.
[s74(4) of the Water Industry Act 1991 (s74 being the part of the act under which the regs are made) states]:
...any person designated in writing for the purposes of this subsection in such manner as may be prescribed may—

(a) enter any premises for the purpose of—

(i) ascertaining whether any provision contained in or made or having effect under this Act with respect to any water fittings or with respect to the waste or misuse of water is being or has been contravened;

(ii) determining whether, and if so in what manner, any power or duty conferred or imposed on any person by regulations under this section should be exercised or performed; or

(iii) exercising any such power or performing any such duty;

or

(b) carry out such inspections, measurements and tests on premises entered by that person or on water fittings or other articles found on any such premises, and take away such samples of water or of any land and such water fittings and other articles, as that person has been authorised to carry out or take away in accordance with regulations under this section.

feck me.A nob head arrives on the scene.
Why don't you sort out your own leaks first and let the plumbers worry about whats inside the premises.
I think you will find their leaks are minute in comparison to what you lot have running down the drains.

Thank you for your valued input Balenza :rolleyes:

FYI the area I work in has reached its LEL (level of economic leakage) which means that it is at the point where it is no longer cost effective, or of value to the customer, to do anything other than maintain things as they are.

Fot the record, around 25% of all water lost through leakage is on customers property.

Thanks for the advice guys.

If I just dig a shallow channel, what is the best way of insulating the pipe? both copper pipe and the blue polythene pipe?

Also, I've had a look at where the tap is on the kitchen wall. There isn't much play for me to put a tee on. Would the best thing to do is remove the current outside tap and then join another pipe to it so I can put the tee on

Can someone please provide a solution to my previous post.

Thankyou

superted said:
If I just dig a shallow channel, what is the best way of insulating the pipe? both copper pipe and the blue polythene pipe?

Use a wraparound insulation such as Armaflex. Will have to be waterproof as it is for external use.
Lay the pipe in a 4" duct, soil pipe is ideal as it is easy to seal to prevent water/insect/rodent ingress.

Thanks for your reply BoxBasher. Where I tee off the tap and water to the garage, would I need to use a non return valve or isolator

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back