HELP positioning 30cm x 40cm ceramic tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Hi

Can anyone explain how I might set out tiles I've brought from Wickes.

The size is 30 x 40cm - they are classed as "Floor & Wall tiles".

FLOOR TILES

What I want is when you open the bathroom door the tile is positioned
with the 40cm going straight ahead (i.e. the narrow 30cm wide goes from your "ear to ear").

WALL TILES

(NOT THE WALL FACING THE DOOR - BUT THE SIDE WALLS)

I want the 40cm side to be 'upright' on the wall (not like a house brick).

This poses a position problem.

It might be that it's been a long day so far, but I cannot fathom this one out.

What I am getting stuck on is how to position the 'wall tiles' so that they are in
the middle of the floor tiles - if that makes sense.

i.e. as the grout lines on the "wall tiles" meet the floor tiles - the grout line will
be in the middle of the 40cm (that is 20cm).

Appreciate any help with this one - is there a method to use?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Sponsored Links
Generally with floors you mark the centre “X” & “Y” axis which will give you equal tile cuts around the edge of the room so it looks symmetrical. Similarly with walls you start by marking the center of the wall & work outwards to the corners & downwards so you generally have just under one full tile from the floor to allow for cut to fit but, depending on the size of tile, baths can cock this up & force a rethink as the last thing you want are thin tile slivers above the bath. Walls with windows need special consideration, especially if they are oposite the entrance door; you usually start in the center of the window & work outwards but, depending on their position in the wall, you may have to adjust this so it looks right as you walk into the room. These are general guidelines &, unfortunately, every room is different so you need think about what you will see & how it will look when you first walk into the room & bend the rules to suit.

Getting grout lines to match floor to wall so it looks right can be difficult enough but your compounding this by offsetting by ½ tile; the problem you’ll most likely to get is to be left with thin slivers either side of the corners which never looks particularly good, even worse if they are uneven. Personally I think using the same tiles for both floors & walls doesn’t work particularly well & can create too many problems. Use contrasting or even different size tiles of the same colour & the problem goes away or at least isn’t as noticeable.

Not sure how experienced at tiling you are or how much you’ve boned up on materials & prep. but they are largish format tiles &, as such, require special consideration, as does tiling a suspended timber floor. I advise to read the Tiling Sticky & Forum Archive posts before doing any more work or buying tiling materials, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. It’s important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base; cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

Didn’t buy the Wickes addy/grout did you :cry:

Thank you Richard.

Unfortunately the tiles are now over a year old (don't ask!!).

The adhesive and grout are from BAL - I rang the technical department for advise on my floor type, so that's all sorted.

I really didn't want to turn the wall tiles so the 40cm runs parallel to the floor but I now have no choice. Can't waste so many boxes.

Haven't told 'her in doors' yet.

Hey Ho.

Sponsored Links
Getting grout lines to match floor to wall so it looks right can be difficult enough but your compounding this by offsetting by ½ tile.

You are also compounding the problem because the tiles are nto square, on one wall you will have 30cm wide wall tiles and 30cm wide florr tiles, on the adjacent wall the wall tiles will still be 30cm wide and the floor tiles 40cm wide.

If you want to match grout lines you need square floor tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back