help prep before repainting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I’m in the middle of prepping some walls in my porch.

Haven’t long been in the house so not sure what paint was used etc. But I believe , before I had bought the house, the walls were once wallpapered and at some point stripped and painted.

I want to re-paint, but the paint was flaking off in places. I have been over the walls with a scraper, sander and lastly washed down with sugar soap. I was hoping this would be enough to get rid of the flaking paint. Then I could face fill and re-paint. However after spending a day doing this I am left with this. Which I feel may not be good enough to paint over.

Will I be ok to re paint over this (mist coat first), or do I need to do something else first? Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Is this on an external wall?

I only ask because it looks as if the paint flaking has been caused by damp coming through the wall.

I have it all over the porch in patches both external and internal walls. It doesn't look as bad now it has dried after washing down with suger soap.
I just want to get to a point where I can paint again.

I think the previous owners didn't wash the wallpaper paste off properly before painting, which is why it has all cracked / lifted.
I guess I am going to do a lot of face filling! :(

Sponsored Links
If you get yourself a 12 inch caulking knife and a bag of easifill that would give you the best finish, except for re skimming of coarse.

Thanks. I was more worried about it coming off again. Although I have scrubbed the wall well. I have some easifill and 12 inch knife from when I done some taping and joining for a stud wall. Should I seal with anything first?

If you have scraped,scrubbed and sanded etc then I would be pretty certain it would be fine.

If you are familiar to dry lining then would that be an option, even if its just the really bad walls.

Thanks for the idea. Just been looking. Unfortunately because of the way the doors are it would be tricky.
Think I will give the filling a go. Mist coat after fill some more if needed then paint. Hopefully it will turn out ok.

Thanks for your help.

Thinking about it myself it would probably just as quick and easy to fill anyway, small areas I'm imaging. Yes always give a mist coat over any filling.

Just to throw in another method I have seen but yet to do myself is to roll on the easifill then scrap off. Have a look on YouTube for a video.

Thanks,
Yes they are small areas, with one larger area which is down to plaster.
I might give a white mist coat first so it is easier to see the defects. then fill and another mist coat before painting.

Many thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back