Help renault laguna V reg 1.6 petrol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone help, I Have a renault laguna 1.6 V reg, only bought it last week, this morning it started to misfire and run really rough, and smelled like oil? now when i start it, it is still misfiring and you can feel it through the car, does anyone know what it could be? I dont want to use it as i dont know how far it will get me or if i will be doing more damage.
any ideas?

Sponsored Links
only had the car a week, so its still covered by warranty, garage took car this morning, said something about head gasket? can anyone tell me, whats involved and if its a big job?

Sponsored Links
chipstick said:
only had the car a week, so its still covered by warranty, garage took car this morning, said something about head gasket? can anyone tell me, whats involved and if its a big job?

not sure exactly what you want to know, but here goes.....

The cylinder head gasket sits between the engine block and the cylinder head. Rather than me type out a description take a quick look here..

http://www.carcare.org/Engine/gaskets.shtml.

If the engine has overheated or something else has casued the gasket to crack / split then the net result is usually a loss of pressure in the cylinder(s) near the crack and a cross-over of fluids, i.e. oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil (usually can be spotted if you check the underside of the oil cap - it will look like its covered in mayo).

The fix is usually between £300 and £500 for the gasket to be replaced. This is primarily made up of labour costs, not parts. It will depend on the car and the garage as to the exact cost though.

Bigger problems arise if the cylinder head has also cracked - you will need a replacement head which will be at least £150, but will depend on the car.

However, as you have only had the car for a week and it's still under warranty, this should all be done free of charge for you. At least you found the problem now while you still have the warranty as you can rest easy/easier that this problem won't happen again soon!

Hope this helps explain it for you.

Thank you for your reply, at least i know now what they are talking about, i will find out monday exactly what they are going to do, and as its still under warranty the cost wont be my problem thank god.

Back