Help replacing old master telephone scoket with NTE5 master

CAT5 cable is not the best for the ADSL signal. This is because the junction between the telephone cable ( with few twists per metre ) and the CAT5 (many twists per metre ) creates an impedance mis-match which will cause a percentage of the signal to reflect backwards. On a short line ( from the telephone exchange ) with a strong ADSL signal this reflection will not significantly affect data speeds but on a weak signal the effect of speed is significant as error rates increase.

This is the cable i'm awaiting http://www.clarity.it/xcart/home.php?cat=255

If its no good what would you recommed in its place please and where would be a good place to get it ?

Edit : Is this the stuff ? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Telephone-C...WSZA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334691701&sr=8-2

Sponsored Links
Bernard's perfectly correct, and if you have not purchased the Cat5, it may be easiest to utilise the extension pack, if it is long enough.---just cut off the jack plug.
If you are intending to utilise existing stranded cable, it would not give good IDC connections.
edit--posts crossed.
The first cable is best for router to PC connections, but not often needed (its for external use.)
The BT standard cable is best for between internal phone sockets, but you have some exterior section from the external box to your NT5. This bit will be the give away for your "DIY" Could you use the existing cable from that external box that went to the (redundant) master connector box, or is it in poor condition?

besides i sincerely doubt they would cancel my line. Its just to put people off doing it the diy way ;).

They do dis-connect in some cases. Last one I heard of was early this year. A non BT ( or OpenReach ) NTE5 clone had been fitted. The line was dissed from it as its contruction was poor, tracks on the PCB were too close and this could have resulted in a short across the line. An appointment was made to replace it. Almost three weeks before the next available appointment.

The reason fro not wanting DIY work on the equioment and cables owned by OpenReach is simple. DIYers can do things that create problems for other people whose telephone lines run in the same street cables as the line that a DIYer has messed up.

Sponsored Links
I'll bear that in mind when i'm wiring the new cable, i'll be insulating it anyway so should be fine.

As for the actual cable i have already ordered some of the cat5 from clarity but i can always use this for the pc connections as i planned to buy some solid core for those anyway.

So i'll order the extension kit from clarity and use that wire internally. The old wire is probably fine, theres a little corrosion to the insulation but it should last a good few years. My only concern with the old wire is that its not copper, looks like a gray / silver wire so i would guess tin ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back