Help required for flat ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am currently having my bathroom refurbished. It is an ex council block of flats. The vent already in place appears to be a cover so not sure how this is meant to work i.e. extract steam.

Also noticed that no other flat on the block appears to have an electric extractor fan. Can I have an electrical extractor fan fitted to this ? As the vent cover does not seem to be sufficient to provide adequate ventilation.

As the Bathroom does not have any windows. I have attached the pictures which explains this better

Screenshot_20220121-070552_Samsung Internet.jpg
20220120_144033.jpg

Sponsored Links
It’s a communal venting system. A large fan on the top of the building should extract from all flats continually, hold tissue across the pipe to see if there’s any suction. You could add your own wall fan but need to make a good seal.
Often the systems are not maintained so are ineffective.

It’s a communal venting system. A large fan on the top of the building should extract from all flats continually, hold tissue across the pipe to see if there’s any suction. You could add your own wall fan but need to make a good seal.
Often the systems are not maintained so are ineffective.

Thank you this seems to be the case. The system does not appear to be working as intended. As the tissue placed in front of the vent stayed still. How do I make a good seal of the extractor fan ?

Sponsored Links
The new fan will accept 4” soil pipe if you can cut away flange enough to slide a small section of pipe onto the existing section in the wall you can then make a seal between the 2 pipe sections (silicon or foam) and then fit your fan to the pipe .Or you can use flexi ducting which might make fitting to fan easier .You need a powerful fan to push air up (depending on how high the block.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back