HELP REQUIRED......Which Finish?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just purchase a 22mm solid french oak floor and are laying approx 49SqMtrs worth. My problem is it is an unfinished floor and I need to decide which finish to apply. My father in law says go with a clear oil which is relatively easy to apply, maintain and repair as and when required, however my supplier has recommended a Ronseal Diamond Varnish. I am looking for as natural a finish as possible, definitely not shiny, we also have two young boys who are always in and out from the garden, crashing toys around the place and spilling food, etc, etc. Can anyone advise of the best products to use to allow protection, simple maintenance and a good finish.

In addition if anyone could recommend a reliable and talented floor layer who is reasonably priced in the Surrey area I would be grateful :D

Sponsored Links
Best option is HardWaxOil, easy to apply and very resilient. When there are small damages to the floor it will be easier to repair locally than with varnish or lacquer.
Plus it gives a mat finish. You don't need to re-oil it every year (which is something some people think), but apply a maintenance product every 5 -6 months in the beginning (very easy too). Varnished and lacquered floors require the same too (something else people think isn't needed for these finishes).

In your case I'd definitely agree with Woodyoulike, something like OSMO hardwax Oil would be best.

However having done some extensive chemical tests on Hardwax Oils I would express caution. Red wine will mark, bleach removes the surface and 40% alcohol also lifts the colour of the wood.

These tests are extreme and were allowed to stay on the surface for 5 minutes...I'd recommend that after you apply Hardwax Oil you always make sure you wipe any spillages. As woodyoulike mentions Hardwax Oil is easy to maintain using OSMO Maintenance Oil all these products are available through the following link:

https://vault2.secured-url.com/frenchpolishes/acatalog/Osmo.html

Hope this helps.

Maintenance Oil (from Osmo or any other brand) should be used ONLY in the event most of the oil has been removed by excessive cleaning (like removing spillage who have been left too long on the surface).

for normal regular maintenance normal maintenance products are advised.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I should have clarified when Maintenance Polish should be used.

Other brands of Hardwax Oils include Mardon, Fiddes and Granwax.

Hope one of these give you the finish you're after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back