Help required wiring transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope somebody can help as our electrician has let us down, apart from blowing one transformer. So we need to connect up the new one.

It is for a floor lamp with 1 x 230v 300w lamp and one 12v SELV lamp, both dimmable.

The transformer is a KAOYI 234H with two dimmer switches, obviously one for the mains lamp, one for the 12v one.

There are four terminals, two on the left, two on the right of what I would call the bottom of the transformer.

The two on left show a simple arrow, the first pointing out and the second pointing inward.

The two on the right show a wavy line, one with an arrow going through it pointing outwards.

(see pics)

There are then two brown wires at the top end which I assume are the output wires but I don't know which is which. Any help appreciated, we've waited for the electrician for over three months now.

Thanks

14ppah.jpg

29oq45u.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
You need the instructions.........

But my guess is that the supply will go to the two outside terminals.
These are denoted NET Z.

The other two are to supply a second transformer (if you have one)
They are marked "AUS" (ausgang) which is german/austrian/swiss for out or exit.

If I were doing the job I would be using a test meter to ensure that the terminals are in fact as in have described.

Do you have a test meter, do you know how to use it?

If not then you could try connecting it as i have outlined above, but I'll not guarantee the results.

Your guess is correct.

Netz is the supply. ( Network )

Aus(gang) is the output

the 0.75 with the square indicates the wire size suited to the terminals as being 0.75 square mm cross section.

BUT the white labels on the PCB suggest something different to the marking on the case.

You'll probably find the two left hand ones are directly connected together for the neutral so it doesn't matter which way around they go.
Far right appears to be the supply
One in from the right the output to the 240v lamp
The other two brown wires are most likely for the 12v lamp
As others have said, ideally you need to test with a volt meter.

Sponsored Links
BUT the white labels on the PCB suggest something different to the marking on the case.

Yes that's what is throwing me. If Netz is the supply, or input, why does the first terminal (on the left) have an arrow pointing out rather than inward?

Oh incidentally the 4th terminal (with the wavy line but no arrow) is connected to a fuse which is marked 'T2.5A 250V AC' so that's got to be 'live in', yes? The neutral input would go to the 1st terminal?

I don't have a meter unfortunately.

You'll probably find the two left hand ones are directly connected together for the neutral so it doesn't matter which way around they go.
Far right appears to be the supply

Actually yes that's correct, makes sense now I have taken the cover off and seen the internal fuse. I just wish I could be sure about the outputs now.

the wavy line with the arrow through it is a symbol for a variable OUTPUT and quite common to 240 volt ac dimmer switches.

the wavy line with the arrow through it is a symbol for a variable OUTPUT and quite common to 240 volt ac dimmer switches.

So that would be correct then.

Supply neutral to second terminal on far left (arrow in)
Supply line to terminal on far right

If you have a second (230v) light to connect then line this goes onto the inner of the right hand two terminals. Neutral goes to the terminal on the extreme left (arrow out).
My guess is that the internal fuse is to protect these outputs.

The 12v output to the ELV light will be wires at the other end of the tranny that you havent shown us.

If you have a second (230v) light to connect then line this goes onto the inner of the right hand two terminals.

Im sure its a kyoni double dimmer with built in transformer, the dimmer output shown is likely for the one and only dimmed mains light, theres a seperate dimmed output to the 12 volt lamp, it would be nice if picture of the hole unit was shown

If you have a second (230v) light to connect then line this goes onto the inner of the right hand two terminals.

Im sure its a kyoni double dimmer with built in transformer, the dimmer output shown is likely for the one and only dimmed mains light, theres a seperate dimmed output to the 12 volt lamp, it would be nice if picture of the hole unit was shown

Yes if the the wavy line/arrow is a variable output then that must be the output to the 230v light.

I can take another pic of the whole unit, cover removed, if it helps. But I think we're pretty much there now.

Hi,
I hope somebody can help me. I have the same light as above.
The problem is the r7 bulb (up lighter) has voltage reading at terminals (dimmer lowers voltage okay) but when the bulb is in place not a flicker from it. when I test for volts at the terminals, zero volts.. remove the bulb and voltage reads again at meter normally.

Can somebody give me an idea what could cause this? I thought the bulbs were duff I had, tested 3 of them, all okay.

Had a look in the circuit board, can't see anything blown / burnt.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back