Help required with upvc door locking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post on a forum so not sure im doing this right.

My problem is I have just moved house and both the front door and back door have the issue of locking when the handle is lifted up, without the use of a key. I have taken the key barrel out of the door as i thought this was the problem only to find out it still locked when i lifted the handle even without the barrel. Ive searched all over but not finding anything!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
These types of doors usually have multipoint locks. If you open the door then lift the handle you should see what type of locking pegs/bars come out the edge of the door to lock it to the frame. I believe some doors are designed to lock when you lift the handle, and with others the pegs/bars are put in place, but you also need to turn the key to actually lock it.

Thanks for the reply.

The door has bolts that slide when the handle is lifted, but once the handle is lifted the door locks without no key, even when i took the key barrel out it still locks when the handle is lifted. The door wont lock with the key, only unlock

Sponsored Links
My ex neighbor who has moved has this in the other house has this, you just lift the handle as normal to lock, it returns to horizontal but won't go past that as if you wanted to open it, to open you need to turn the key just like normal and now the handle can be pushed down and unlocks, it kind of auto locks itself

One of our customers has a door like this on his old conservatory. Out of habit I usually lift the handle up and the first time I was working at his house I did this only to find I couldn't get back in again!
He explained that as soon as the handle is lifted the door is automatically locked without needing to turn the key. You do however then have to turn the key to unlock the door.
I thought at first he was mistaken but upon closer inspection I realised he was right.
This is the only time I've seen a locking system like this. Wouldn't want it on my own doors though. I'd be forever locking myself out.

I think it might be an old system, my neighbours frames although in very good condition look around a late 80's system, ext bead on internal wedge, 58mm profile, 20mm units. he's got used to how they lock now compared to when he lived next door but I've locked myself out a few times while working there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back