Help stop an argument(and me from doing another DIY job!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys(and Gals!) I've finally re-wired the house totally,moved and replaced the consumer unit and everything is tickety-boo and all tested and ok. The problem is now I've finished and put all the floorboards back down etc etc she's decided she wants some of those ceiling/light fan thingys. I've told her that they can't just run off the lighting circuit(to save me more work!) but I'll have to run a supply from the ring main to every one,am I right?

Sponsored Links
Never looked at one, but I can't imagine that they'd ever sell any if they needed to be conected to a ring main - they must be OK on a lighting circuit.

Sorry.

I have installed a few, just put them onto the lighting circuit. If you are also going to use fan/light combined units you can even have the light on a dimmer, as long as you have permanent live available.

Sponsored Links
If a man says something in a forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?

On the positive side, the wiring isn't going to be much work. So now you can tell her just how much work it is, get it done without too much bother (famous last words!) and reap the benefits of slap-up dinners and the associated sundries.

Care to elaborate on the associated sundries?

Julie says when I cook her a meal and do practical things, it gives her the hots. How many meals have I cooked. Oh, yeah....three pregnancies, three meals......

Only kidding. I've done four.

i am not 100% sure, but i think you can get a fan light which has the ability for the lights to be dimmed (no extra wiring)

securespark said:
and do practical things,

Oh, like that's fair! You do "practical things" for a living, so you are pretty much on a promise every night! I am yet to find a girl who gets turned on by blokes who sit at desks and give presentations... funny that! :mad:

You can get fanlights with a dimmer built in to them (pull cord-type thing), which as Breezer says, don't need extra wiring. Only downer is the dimmer is on the light itself on the ones I have seen.

Come up with an extremely funny PowerPoint presentation, and the girl could be yours for the taking mate!

Hi,
With regard to ceiling fans you can connect to existing light points.
If they have lights combined they can be switched individually to the fan, ie: light only/fan only or both together. It is better if you could wire two supplies (not always practical for retrofit). Remote controls can be used to switch fan or light individually from one supply without using the pull cords. The small pull cords snap if used regular.
Final Tip: Don't buy the cheapest fan you find, Dearer fans WILL be quieter and move more air on slower speeds. Trust me I sell them.
Cheers

Deskbound said:
Final Tip: Don't buy the cheapest fan you find, Dearer fans WILL be quieter and move more air on slower speeds. Trust me I sell them.
Cheers

Desk, would you agree with "larger fans are quieter as they can move the same volume of air at slower speeds"?

Using larger fans to reduce noise is common practice in computer building circles, but I was wondering if it applies to ceiling fans too.

Hi Adam,
I generally find that most people who fit ceiling fans in domestic situations find that they do not want the air movement noise, as they are fitting them in bedrooms or conservatories where they will be reading or sleeping. Cheaper fans also tend to have squeaks and knocking noises. The blades are generally at steeper angles causing more noise. All in all I find quietness is what people want.
Cheers

So as one with a knowledge of fans, what brands would you recommend (impartially of course!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back