Adding a 2-light switch to a spur- Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently added a porch to the front of my house, and have relocated the wiring for what was the outdoor light, so it can be the feed for both the new outdoor light, and also the downlighters inside the porch. The outside light was in the perfect position to use as a live feed, I really want to avoide having to run a new cable from the lighting ring (by lifting floorboard etc) unless that's the only way.

I've just wired all the lights in place, and currently have all the wires sitting in the switch position waiting for me to wire them to a double switch.

But how do I wire it? Can someone explain / draw a diagram?!

(The one downside of this is that both the porch lights and the exterior light will all be controlled by the indoor switch acting as a master switch, but I'm sure I can do something about that at a later date! Until then I can live with it!

Like I said I've got all three wires in place already, one from the outdoor light, one from the downlighters, and the one that used to power the outdoor light as it was, I just want to connect the switch!

Sponsored Links
Get yourself a 2 gang switch so that each light can operate independantly.

Join each neutral (black or blue wire) together in a terminal block and tuck into the switch box making sure they are neat and no exposed wire touches the switch box.
Join all 3 earth wires together and connect to the earth terminal in the swithbox. (assuming it's a metal box) Don't forget to use earth sleeving!

Connect the live (red or brown) wire from the supply to L1 of one of the switches. Bridge this with a piece of brown/red wire to the L1 or the other switch.

Connect the brown/red from the inside light to the L2 on one of the switches, connect the brown/red from the outside light to the L2 on the other switch. (if it's a 2 way switch use the C (or common) instead of L2)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back