Wiring for a 2 gang light switch

Anyway to leave the 2 gang in but just leave the one switch out of it? Or will I need to buy the new switch?

Next new build I'll actually know things to check, this has been a bit of an ordeal

Sponsored Links
A 2 gang switch can be used, leaving one side doing nothing. Bit naff though.

Before we start, are we sure the the unused cable at the 2 gang switch, and the cable at the outside light position is definitely the sme piece of cable, and that both ends were completely dead - there's a possibility a joint could be hidden somewhere, but unlikely.

A 2 gang switch can be used, leaving one side doing nothing. Bit naff though.

Before we start, are we sure the the unused cable at the 2 gang switch, and the cable at the outside light position is definitely the sme piece of cable, and that both ends were completely dead - there's a possibility a joint could be hidden somewhere, but unlikely.
Almost certain to be honest. I took a look for any other wiring and couldn't find anything

Sponsored Links
You will need some 6amp connector blocks to do this ideally.

Ah, I only have 3a. Will need to buy some more before we get going. My reason for leaving the switch is the house builder will still need to come and try and sort the job properly (however that can be done) so we have both switches.

I thought I'd check, in case there's a junction box under the floor. If there was, it would have made that unconnected cable at the switch live. And all you would do is connect the brown and blue across the unused switch. Presumably you've tried that.

I thought I'd check, in case there's a junction box under the floor. If there was, it would have made that unconnected cable at the switch live. And all you would do is connect the brown and blue across the unused switch. Presumably you've tried that.

I haven't tried this. I'm afraid that's gone slightly over my head.

If there WAS a joint under the floor, that blue on the new cable at the 2 gang switch wouldn't go to the neutral block. The blue would go to L1 on the unused switch, the brown to COM.

You could try it just in case, but I'm not expecting it to work.

If there WAS a joint under the floor, that blue on the new cable at the 2 gang switch wouldn't go to the neutral block. The blue would go to L1 on the unused switch, the brown to COM.

You could try it just in case, but I'm not expecting it to work.
Sparkwright ,if You are thinking that the brown cable was a permanent live ,and the blue was to be switched live ( both from the t/e that was not connected to anything ) then the outside light would not have worked when the op wired the brown to the switch and a bridge to the two way ,as all that would do would connect two lives ???? Or am I misunderstanding your posts ?
Regards Terry

Don't quite follow, if there WAS a hidden joint, there would be a constant neutral at the light, and the brown and blue would be perm live and switch live.

I think something would have happened when the op was connecting things.

I doubt there is a hidden joint, and that the cable goes directly to the light (and so wired up wrong) but thought it worth double checking at this stage.

Don't quite follow, if there WAS a hidden joint, there would be a constant neutral at the light, and the brown and blue would be perm live and switch live.

I think something would have happened when the op was connecting things.

I doubt there is a hidden joint, and that the cable goes directly to the light (and so wired up wrong) but thought it worth double checking at this stage.
Yes ,but OP connected the blue to the neutrals in the terminal block ,so there would be no switched live to the fitting . But the light worked . He just connected what you suggest is a permanent live to the switch and a bridge cable to the other ( two way ) switch. In that scenario there is no switched live to the fitting.
See what I mean ??

I think James should contact the builders ,it's a new build and clearly is an issue. I don't think he should do anything further with the wiring.

I think James should contact the builders ,it's a new build and clearly is an issue. I don't think he should do anything further with the wiring.
I'll send an email and hopefully once things have returned a little bit back to normal we can get it resolved! Bloomin' new builds!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back