One gang to 2 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for some assistance folks!

I'm wiring a wall light into a 2 gang switch which was initially a 1 gang, I've identified the com wire and wired it and the neutral switch for the original light into L1, I assumed all I'd have to do is bridge the 2 coma and place the new live wire for teh wall light into L1, and theneutral into a block!

I'm getting power to the original light but not the new light!!

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I've reconnected the old single gang switch, which when I connected the live, light initially it came on but wouldn't go off, now I'm getting nothing!!

Don't know if there is a issue with either the cable I will fitted or the light unit itself!

Or maybe I'm just completely lost!

Attached are the original switch, and the new wiring which I've fed into the wall and connected to the new light!

Help as I'm going insane with what I thought should be an easy switch! No pun intended!!

Attachments

• IMG_20181124_171112.jpg
    IMG_20181124_171112.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20181124_171145.jpg
    IMG_20181124_171145.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20181124_171155.jpg
    IMG_20181124_171155.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
So I'm right in what I say about it being in L1, sorry I'm using the wrong terms it's been a long long day!

Am I right in my wiring from the com to com as currently getting nothing from second com connection!

yes, its normal to link com to com.

The trouble is the neutrals are in the ceiling in your house. And for a new light to work, you need to get access to a neutal in the ceiling

So is there no way I can wire this light from the wiring currently in the switch, even if I ran the 2 of them off the one switch or would I need it to be connected to the ceiling as that's in another room....don't ask!!

I think your a bit confused ,so lets try to clarify a few things. The original cable has two conductors ,one brings the live supply and goes in the com terminal ,the other conductor ,( going into L1) takes the switched live to its light fitting ,where there has to be a neutral but the neutral does not come from the switch. So as well as getting a switched live to your new light you also need to get a neutral to it from another point on the circuit that you pick the live up from.

Unfortunately there is no way for me to get a neutral to it, so games a bogey I'm afraid!!

Thanks for all the assistance, I'm still trying to get to terms with all the terminology etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back