Wiring for a 2 gang light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently purchased a new build house and they haven't actually wired in the outdoor light!!

I have a 2 gang switch, 1 switch is meant to go to the kitchen lights and is 2 way (this is wired in and working). The other should go to the outdoor light. I have wired in the outdoor light (n-n,l-l,e-e) this leaves me with the attached picture and I'm relatively stuck. I initially added a bit of wiring between the two commons, added the live into l1 and added the n and earth to the block etc. This didnt work! So thought I'd ask.

Sponsored Links
N&E connect into the terminal block with the other wires.
L to L1 on the unused switch.
C on the unused switch needs to be linked to permanent line on the other switch, which will probably be L1 or L2 depending on how it's been wired.

Do you have a multimeter or other testing device?

I don't have a multimetre or testing device I'm afraid. I may pick one up from amazon for the future.

Sponsored Links
I've tried l1.

This works until I use the other kitchen light switch.

I then gave l2 a try and it was the same outcome.

15889406680661469163324569696279.jpg

This is the other light switch the box on the left of the picture is the second control for the kitchen lights. Middle controls another row of lights but is 1 way and right of the picture contols kitchen cabinet lights, again 1 way

This isn't how I first visualised it. Presumably a 3 core+earth cable provides a neutral in grey. I assumed the brown would be permanent live, and black switched live, but then there is another wire, as the kitchen light is a 2 way arrangement.

There may not even be a permanent live here...

Hang on, this needs thinking about.

It appears the 3 gang switch has a permanent live, and 2 gang one may not.

Could be wrong.

Do you need both switches to control the kitchen light?

On kitchen switch there is a grey cable visible in the enclosure ( not actually connected to the switch ) where and what does it connect to ?

It's in the neutral.

It looks to be that the 3 core+e between the switches supplies 2 strappers and neutral.

I think the common at the 3 ganger is the perm live,
and the common at the 2 ganger is the live to the kitchen light.

That's awkward.

That wiring arrangement is the one that can't be used to supply the outside light.
Very likely that's why it wasn't connected.

I was afraid that was the answer. I'm guessing they got this far and realised they'd made a mistake and just left it for the next contractor to fix

We could manage without the 2 way switch not working for the kitchen lights but the 3 gang switch we use all of them.

Ok. It can be done if the 2 gang switch gets replaced for a 1 gang switch serving just the outside light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back