HELP - TV bracket fitment - is it safe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are fitting our older 42 inch plasma tv in our kitchen.
We only move in a few months ago so where unfamiliar with the structure of the walls but knew this one would be stud at best.
I cut in to the wall to fond it was made up of 3 sheets of plasterboard only 1x 12mm 1x 22mm 1x 12mm with about a cm gap in between each. There is no stud work and the sheet are fixed together with plasterboard adhesive.

The tv bracket is slimline and the from of the tv including its own width will only sit 12cm from the wall.

To secure the bracket I decided to cut out two holes the length of the tv bracket, strengthen the surrounding area woith more plasterboard adhesive and then submerge two pieces of 6x3cm timber in the wall. I drilled two holes in each piece of timber and passed 2 treaded 10mm metal poles through the timber making a H shape. I cut 2 further pieces out of the wall so this would sit in the wall. I then packed everything in place with plasterboard adhesive so that the wood was flush with the wall. and have left to dry for 5 days. I was now going to fit the bracket to the wall using 6 large 6mm x 80mm bolts. Please see pic of wall. The TV weighs 40kg. Do you recon it will be safe?

Sponsored Links
If I understand your post correctly then the only thing holding up 40kgs of TV/bracket is plasterboard adhesive - I wouldn't be confident that will hold.

What's behind the three layers of plasterboard?

Hi, there only thing behind is the stairs but its too low to screw in to.
I was going to put a 3ft metal strip across the top of the structure with many screws in it too stop anything moving.....

Still confused - what's holding the plasterboard up!?

Putting a metal strip up won't help if it's just screwed into plasterboard

Is the plasterboard covering the space under the stairs completely?

Photo of the wider area would help

Sponsored Links
The wall is made up only of plasterboard: it isn't that uncommon.

Consider making/ordering a bracket that hung from the timbers in the ceiling instead.

/_/_/_/_/_
_|_
|_|

Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back