help - wall plugs in crumbling brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm trying to fit a flat screen TV bracket to the inside of an exterior wall of my house.
I drilled six 10mm holes for the supplied concrete anchor wall plugs and self tapping-type bolts.
The wall plugs were a snug fit (had to be tapped in the last few mill a hammer) so I went ahead and screwed on the bracket.

3 of the bolts went in tightly, but the other 3 only went in halfway before the whole wall plug started turning in the hole, crumblng the walls of the hole I drilled. These plugs were eaily pulled out by hand when I removed the bracket.

Please can someone tell me what I need to do to fix the bracket securely to the wall?
As it's a TV i'm fitting up there, I need these bolts to be well attached to the wall.

Should I enlarge the holes and use a resin filler? If I do, do I set the bolts (they are size 10 self tapping bolts) in the resin, or still use the plugs?
Or is there some other type of wall plug that is more suitable?
Or do I have to get a builder and cut out the piece of wall and replace it (which seems a bit drastic!)...
(... I've had all three suggested...)

The house is Georgian, and I'm pretty sure the wall is brick.

Any help gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
The house is Georgian, and I'm pretty sure the wall is brick.

Are you sure? :D

I got this problem when drilling into plaster/ plasterboard. Are you drilling into plaster and then into brick or just into brick? If it's the brick that is crumbling, there may be something that could be used to fill the gap (like resin as you said but someone else here will have to confirm that), but if it's severe crumbling then you could always try replacing the few bricks as the TV will be a permanent fixture.

It sounds to me like you are drilling into polyfilla or something. My curtain rail is on the verge of falling down because I drilled and put the wall plugs into polyfilla.

If the bricks are crumbling, then I think you'd really need to get a new brick. Are you drilling the right size hole for the bolt?

Sorry I can't help much mate :(.

I think you are probably drilling into soft sand/lime mortar. What is the dust like that comes out?

If you drill a couple of inches up or down AND a couple of inches right or left, you will probably mis the mortar joint and find a brick.

If you take off a section of plaster, you can see what's behind it.

could be mortar - the three holes on the left were reasonably firm, the three on the right were the problem, so I could have found a line of mortar...

sounds like I could have to strip some plaster - my wife will be thrilled (I promised I wouldn't make a mess!)

any other suggestions? I was hoping there might be some magic plug or super resin that would mean I could avoid any brick or plaster work?

probably wishful thinking...

thanks for help so far

Sponsored Links
there`s a kind of resin anchor in a sac for dodgy brickwork .......I think screwfix do them .and probably fischer fixings.....have a google ;)

easy answer.......

find a good bit of brick around the bracket. if you can get a fixing then jjust drill a few more holes in the bracket with a metal drill bit.

matt

tmvs said:
any other suggestions?
I have use a 4 treaded stud bolts right through the wall & square washers, if you have a cavity then drill slightly downward to stop the damp/rain bridging to the inner wall.

masona said:
tmvs said:
any other suggestions?
I have use a 4 treaded stud bolts right through the wall & square washers, if you have a cavity then drill slightly downward to stop the damp/rain bridging to the inner wall.

But won't the bolt be visible on the outside of the wall? If not, then how can the nut be fitted?

Tozzy said:
But won't the bolt be visible on the outside of the wall? If not, then how can the nut be fitted?
Depends where it is, mine is out of sight area, I've used the locknut and paint it over the same colour at the wall. It's no difference to TV areial, electric fan or you could put a hanging basket bracket onto it. I rather see a threaded bolts than risking the TV falling down ££££££££££££ ;)

If it a solid wall, you could chop it in then render over the bolt/nuts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back