Resin Anchors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks

Further to a previous post, I need to fix a handrail to a staircase wall on brackets. The plaster under the new skim is fairly brittle but the brickwork below is reasonable.

Plugs have generally failed in the past as a large part of the plug is in the plaster. I was thinking about setting the fixings in resin anchors but every 'guide' I find only refers to bolts and rods being used with resin anchors.

My thoughts was to drill the holes, install the resin anchor and then screw in the bracket and hold it til it cures (assuming that I can get a quick curing resin!). Has anyone tried fixing screws into resin anchors?

Grateful for any input.

Sponsored Links
How about putting the plugs into the resin that way you wont be trying to hold the brackets in place while the resin cures.

Not sure it would work too well, the secure fixing in the resin is usually made possible by the large surface area + threads of the bolts they are normal used with. Have you tried a longer screw? so that the plug is in the wall where it's supposed to be?
Alternatively fix a pre painted length of timber to the wall (3x1 par should do it) and screw into that. The timber can be held on with no nails type adhesive and then once gone off, firmly screwed in/filled/painted.

Thanks both for your replies.

Deluks - I did think of doing what you've suggested with fixing a board but my concern was that the walls have just been skimmed. Based on the depth of the skim, if I no-nails it to the wall wouldn't the downward force on the handrail cause the plaster to crack and dislodge under the downward pressure?

Or from your post, did you mean to no-nails the board and then mechanically fix it after that?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back