help using solderless fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just after a bit of advice on using solderless fittings, how much solder do you add to use the fittings that dont have a solder ring already in them also how do i get the solder run upwards say when im soldering the bottom joint of a T joint. thanks

Sponsored Links
I may stand corrected by a plumber as im a DIYer!!!

Clean the tube with some wire wool then put flux on.
Heat with your solder torch and capillary action will suck it up into the fitting basically ;)

clean the pipe and fitting with a cleaning pad NOT steel wool, apply a tiny amount of flux to the pipe NOT inside the fitting, heat the pipe for approx 9 seconds, remove flame and apply solder (this is the bit that comes with practice) the trick is to use the heat from the pipe NOT the blowlamp to melt the solder, apply the solder at the back/bottom of the fitting and watch for it running round to complete the joint, as a rough guide use 15mm of solder for 15mm pipe etc, bend the solder at the end then apply till the bent bit is gone so you dont add too much, the rule of thumb for this is practice, practice, practice some more then practice, then it is easy :D

Good on you for using end feed! Not even some professionals use End feed.

As suggested above a clean pipe is vital. Apply flux to end with a brush, not too much, the more you put will make it more difficult for the capillary action to take place. Put the fitting on and warm the fitting mainly not the pipe but apply to pipe sightly. Tap some solder to the joint, experienced plumbers will know when it is hot enough by the colour of the flame. apply a bit of solder and you will see the solder get sucked in by the flux. Practice firs to get good at it.

Sponsored Links
heat the pipe for approx 9 seconds,

??
Depends on how hot your flame is and the diameter of your pipe.

Also heat one side of fitting and feed solder from other side. Then you know that all of diameter is hot enough.

.... how do i get the solder run upwards say when im soldering the bottom joint of a T joint. thanks

If the metal is clean and fluxed, and the joint is hot enough to melt the solder when you apply it, but not so hot that the flux has burnt away, capilliary attraction will draw it uphill into the joint.

Add too much solder, or overheat the joint, and gravity will take over, allowing molten solder to drip off the pipe and drop straight down a lace hole in your shoe.

clean the pipe and fitting with a cleaning pad NOT steel wool,

I stand corrected :D I know cleaning pads are available but some plumbers use steel wool :confused: The only way to learn is to ask so!!!! why not steel wool? I'm not being sarcastic i'm just trying to learn :D

why not steel wool? I'm not being sarcastic i'm just trying to learn :D

no silly questions, only silly answers is my motto, if you use steel wool you can get tiny fragments between the pipe and fitting which can hinder a good joint, or they get trapped inside the pipe and can rust and cause probs.

Some use steel wool cause that is the way we were taught in black and white days and we are a bit slow to embrace these new fangled inventions :oops:

i commented approx 9 secs of heat and someone posted depends on flame and pipe dia which is true, but it is approx and a guide only and i assumed the original post was based on domestic pipework rather than 54mm, which does take a bit more care, but try it and decide for yourself, you will find 9 secs is not far away

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back