HELP: Vailiant System Boiler LOUD Vibrating Sound Whenever Upstairs Heating Is On

Like this one,
You say you are getting a foghorn type noise, are you sure this isn't happening when you are heating your HW cylinder?>

1705448515445.png

Sponsored Links
The ones that have motorized valve written on them, if the rads are above that valve shown above then the arrow on the valve body must point upward. (I think it is judging by the wiring).
Hi John

Here is some clearer pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2439.jpeg
    IMG_2439.jpeg
    228.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2438.jpeg
    IMG_2438.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2437.jpeg
    IMG_2437.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2436.jpeg
    IMG_2436.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 16
Like this one,
You say you are getting a foghorn type noise, are you sure this isn't happening when you are heating your HW cylinder?>

View attachment 329505
Hi

No noise comes when the hot water is on and nor does it happen when the UFH. I mean I describe it as a foghorn but its hard to tell its like a rattle more than anything else. Here is the video:

This noise will only ever come happen when I put my upstairs heating on for 5-10 seconds and then stops.

OK, see post #31, you can see the arrow on the side of the valve, you will just have to look at the side(s) of your one, it should be pointing up if the rads are above it.

Sponsored Links
OK, see post #31, you can see the arrow on the side of the valve, you will just have to look at the side(s) of your one, it should be pointing up if the rads are above it.

Hi john sorry for being dumb. Yes arrow is pointing up and the radiators are on the upstairs floor.

Iv also attached a wider picture of my system for your reference

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2440.jpeg
    IMG_2440.jpeg
    277.8 KB · Views: 22
Try this, for good measure!! (can't think of much else)
Ensure the ABV is back at its original setting of 0.3.
If the U/stairs heating is on, switch it off.
You will see a lever like the one below, pull/push that right over (you will feel a little resistance) and then pull it slightly towards you, it should latch in..in the open position.
restart the u/stairs heating.

1705476564709.png

Try this, for good measure!! (can't think of much else)
Ensure the ABV is back at its original setting of 0.3.
If the U/stairs heating is on, switch it off.
You will see a lever like the one below, pull/push that right over (you will feel a little resistance) and then pull it slightly towards you, it should latch in..in the open position.
restart the u/stairs heating.

View attachment 329516
Hi John,

The moment I even moved the lever the noise just started, I wasn’t even able to get to locking it in position or switching the upstairs heating on.

What did I notice is that once the noise happened, I put the central heating on 30 seconds later (the lever was back in the original position) and the rattling noise was less faint. It’s as if it needed to get that noise out and then it can function? However if I let the system cool down for a few hours and then switch the central heating back on, the noise will return as loud as ever.

The boiler/UFH was probably on before you started moving the lever??
Can you programme everything off which means boiler off, then latch the valve open and then request (u/stairs) heating back on?.

What make/model boiler have you got?

Can you programme everything off which means boiler off, then latch the valve open and then request (u/stairs) heating back on?.
Hi John,

Should I be physically switching the boiler off from the mains and then switching it back on?

See post #38, the boiler should be off, whatever method you prefer, I would programme everything off, then latch the valve open, restart boiler.

What make/model boiler have you got?
Sorry john its a vailiant ecotec plus 637

Oh yes, you mentioned that earlier, so try and do that test as suggested, boiler off, open/latch open valve, restart boiler.

Oh yes, you mentioned that earlier, so try and do that test as suggested, boiler off, open/latch open valve, restart boiler.
Hi John

I just tried this. I kept the boiler off for 10 minutes and my heatmiser app had all the zones (including upstairs heating) as offline.

I pushed the valve open and I then restarted the boiler. No noise occurred. However, I have to switch on the central heating through my app and annoyingly when its been offline and switches back online it defaults to a 21 degree setting so a few of my zones were online. However I think I caught it just in time, but can’t be fully certain.

AVB is on 0.3 and as mentioned no loud noise when i pushed the valvle open. I then switched off the central heating and the valve went into close mode? I then put the heating back on 30 seconds later and the valve stayed in the close mode but boiler made no noises again.

Well it seems (not surprisingly, I suppose) that there is no noie if the u/stairs zone/motorised valve is in the open position when the boiler fires up.
Qustion is why the noise when asked to operate normally, I don't know really, someone else on here might comment on this??.

Well it seems (not surprisingly, I suppose) that there is no noie if the u/stairs zone/motorised valve is in the open position when the boiler fires up.
Qustion is why the noise when asked to operate normally, I don't know really, someone else on here might comment on this??.
Thanks John,

Do you think its still worth me turning the TRVs all off and then turning back on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back