Vibrating when heating and boiler on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've had a look through many posts but not been able to nail my issue so thought I'd post a new thread.

We have a really loud vibrating type noise coming from the pipe work upstairs which seems to happen when the boiler kicks in. As far as I can see the pump on the heating system is on and ok (although the housing is very warm) but it's when the boiler kicks in that the vibrating becomes loud.

I am fairly sure the pipes upstairs are close to the floorboards as if I walk in certain rooms, I can stop/start the vibrating.

The odd thing is, we have lived here a year and obviously had the heating on a lot but this noise has only started to happen over the past couple of months, before this it's never happened. Nothing has changed in terms of the heating system/floorboards so very odd.

Oh, should also mention that we seem to have an issue whereby most of the rads downstairs won't warm up but not sure if that's at all related or just another issue!

Suggestions?

Thanks. Karl.

Sponsored Links
More details, system type, boiler......

Worcester green star boiler. Standard system with cylinder, tank in loft etc.

I don't really know what else to say, what else?

Sponsored Links
If there is no noise when the hot water is on then that eliminates the boiler and pump. Try turning all but one radiator off. Does the noise stop? Then open them one at a time and see if you can trace the problem to a particular radiator.

I'm not 100% convinced it's only when the heating is on but does seem that way when I'm in the house... Or both on together. I leave the house in the morning before the heating comes on but the water is on and at that point there is no noise.

Plan is to put cleaner in the system tomorrow and then leave for a while before draining the system down. At that point I'll then try one rad at a time

My worry is it's simply a case the pipes are too close to the flooring upstairs and I'll end up having to pull up boards etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back