Help: Water leaking from hot water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Total newbie ! My hot water tank seems to be leaking but very slowly, it doesn't seem to be leaking from any visible joints that I can see.

I say slowly, because been doing this for a long time, and I only noticed when a towel happen to fall down to the base of the water tank and got soaked.

There are no visible signs of water leaking anywhere, the tank is mounted on a bit of wood, and that is constantly wet.

I was just wondered if anyone could suggest a possible cause and solution?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Post some pictures of the pipework and tank if you can we may be able to spot something you have missed.

Corroded through at the base, I'll bet :(
Replacement tank needed if it is, I'm afraid......but the cold water inlet is the lowest connection so the leak could be coming from there or from the heating coil, higher up and running down.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Corroded through at the base, I'll bet :(
Replacement tank needed if it is, I'm afraid......but the cold water inlet is the lowest connection so the leak could be coming from there or from the heating coil, higher up and running down.

Hi John, from from the pictures, and feeling the cold water inlet, it doesn't seem to be wet, but also from the pictures, it does seem to have leaked though!

Thanks for your suggestions

David

Cut some of the foam away from under the cold inlet and see if its wet there.

Same at heating coil connections as well next.

But probably going to be the Base area corroded and leaking.

Presumably its going to be well outside any guarantee now?

Can sometimes be caused by earth leakage currents as a result of deficient earthing.

Toy

Hi Toy,

None of the joints or pipes of the cold inlet are wet, same for the other side as well.

I think that they mostly likely solutions seems to be that the base has corroded! and is leaking

Thanks for all of your help!

Is it something that I can tackle by myself or should I get someone into replace it? And what is the likely cost of someone replacing it?

Thanks to everyone for the quick diagnosis!

It can be done by yourself but if you are new to plumbing I'd get someone in.....there's a high chance of stressing the fixed connections if you heave away at them - also a drain down is needed.
Just looking at that base....is it a piece of worktop? It looks to be in a bad way and the tank needs to sit on something dead flat and smooth.
A good half days work should see it done, if there are no complications.

The cost about £200 and most professionals would charge about £460 inclusive to supply and fit.

Tony

Thanks Tony and John,

I think that I should better take your advice and get someone to do it!!! I have a habit of destroying stuff!

Yes, the base looks like worktop!!

Thanks for the great advice !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back