Help! What do i do with this damp concrete and deep hole??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, Can anyone please advise what is the best option to do with this (see pic)
We are currently taking up floor tiles in my kitchen and about to put a self leveling layer down but we noticed this damp patch by the door, only because its raining today. We removed the damp concrete to find the plastic (dpc?) has water coming in above it, between that and the base of the door frame, but the hole we found is about 2ft deep. Should we pack the hole and fill the gap in under the door, and concrete over?

I'm at a total loss as what to do, I'm about to have a major mum meltdown. Help....
IMG_20170322_083649.jpg IMG_20170322_083731.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The problem you have there is water coming across the cavity. You need to investigate the wall above the DPC to see if water is travelling across from behind that frame and skirting (no vertical DPC) or by a blocked cavity.

From a mini investigation it seems the water is coming in under the door frame but above the DPC. What little foam filler they have used is soft and degraded. It looks like water has been dripping down onto the step of the door on the outside for years and has worked its way under the frame and under the concrete. Still have no idea what we should do about the hole?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back