Help! What splashback?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently changed the colour scheme in my kitchen. The decorator saw the area behind the hob was tiled with 4 inch ceramic tiles in colours that now clash with the new colour scheme. He then painted over the tiles with an oil based cream paint and it looked great.

Six months later and half the paint has peeled off and the backsplash now looks terrible, really scruffy and shabby.

It's not just a square on the wall but wraps around under wall cabinets and also goes around two electrical sockets.

I have no idea what to do for the best.

Anyone got any ideas, please?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Any photo's to show us exactly whats gone wrong?
I suspect the tile surface may not be suitable for the (type of), paint he has used.
Or maybe they simply won't accept any paint no matter what prep work is done to them.

Painting over tiles?
Call the DIY police!
You can rub down with a dab of white spirit on a clean cloth, scrape away with a spatula knife or an old stanley blade, use an old toothbrush to work any paint in the grout. Wash clean with a damp sponge then a clean dry cloth and hope they come up as good as they were...so many different splashbacks on the market these days you'd be spoilt for choice with a new one.

Painting over tiles?
Call the DIY police!
You can rub down with a dab of white spirit on a clean cloth, scrape away with a spatula knife or an old stanley blade, use an old toothbrush to work any paint in the grout. Wash clean with a damp sponge then a clean dry cloth and hope they come up as good as they were...so many different splashbacks on the market these days you'd be spoilt for choice with a new one.

Thank you for your reply. I don't see any point of going to the huge amount of trouble to scrape off all the failing paint if the whole thing is going to covered over with some kind of new splashback.

The problem with buying a splashback is that they are all the wrong size and shape to cover the existing tiles.

Sponsored Links
Any photo's to show us exactly whats gone wrong?
I suspect the tile surface may not be suitable for the (type of), paint he has used.
Or maybe they simply won't accept any paint no matter what prep work is done to them.

I will charge up my phone and take a photo.

Painting tiles wouldn't have been a great idea behind a cooker. I really like those glass splash backs which can be tinted with a colour.

We have glazing firms around here that will cut made to measure splash backs in a good choice of colours, they are also available online if you search custom splashbacks

Thank you for your reply. I don't see any point of going to the huge amount of trouble to scrape off all the failing paint if the whole thing is going to covered over with some kind of new splashback.

The problem with buying a splashback is that they are all the wrong size and shape to cover the existing tiles.
'some kind' of splashback would probably mean glass, and it's not a clever idea to plonk one on top of tiles anyway.
If you're going to remove the tiles, crack on and don't mess about.

Stainless steel over the tiles? Depends how much mess you want to make, if it's no bother then rip the tiles off and replace, depends what's under the tiles, if they come off easily or bring big chunks of the wall.

@Odds assuming the edge can be made to look OK why can't you plonk a glass splashback over tiles (all assuming the existing tiles are sound and minimum distances between the hob/pans and the splashback are adhered to etc)?

Stainless steel over the tiles? Depends how much mess you want to make, if it's no bother then rip the tiles off and replace, depends what's under the tiles, if they come off easily or bring big chunks of the wall.

@Odds assuming the edge can be made to look OK why can't you plonk a glass splashback over tiles (all assuming the existing tiles are sound and minimum distances between the hob/pans and the splashback are adhered to etc)?
The OP states the tiles go around electrical fittings and cupboards so some work will have to be done on them and only covering a portion of ceramic tiles with glass doesn't sound very secure to me. I don't think anything can be assumed without further information/pictures.

Personally I wouldnt fit over tiles but would remove the ones from the area needing covering and let the custom glass into it and caulk or trim at the transition. BTW, on custom glass one can specify holes for mirror screws so shouldn't be a problem actually securing over glass if needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back