Ideas for redecorating 1970s kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking to refresh the 1970s kitchen my house came with. Nothing major, but looking to paint the walls and cupboards, replace the sink (currently it's cream plastic, but very stained), and possibly replace the worktops and wall tiles.

This is an older photo, but the neatest one available! Have already plastered the ceiling to get rid of artex, swapped the cooker and hob, dishwasher and washing machine.

I'm really bad at planning decorating schemes, would appreciate ideas on colours! Currently the worktops are slightly green and the tiles are even greener, the floor is beige.

OJa_CNlls5dafoHmkLKlBUmn6RYnyzTXLRonX0SrUSnKN37fozZM1NJScaMKqCgRtAxW9bipZuzuzpi-nQyi1wGReJrSUVHUJiA_8lL9fcK0z-7cf3gkzjyA8dZIZC8x_q8VAct4FvWSO7Ad13zJ_rP5QVlfksQ_YmWK5YhQBrZ-2SsTj7_sXhfHS1c6RYwDS26CWU1BaMjBD1jw1N6xYGhR87FueXl1n-0fKdK1p36Sd_GpLYuAvgALp5UUE6b9pkyksx2TUwal6jVljTIl2owOcW94usi4SrmTSDZNUN6c8a5XVQMmO_YXkF3yHUf0J7gXZVK9JRAHO1gnuYXQFIG-Oj-hZhCxmbK2WQ8U3nZMcR-CR3T1Q3qiAtTSSXh9hmIs8W1PNGf4n0-Cu9JTv9-4mesylVohbGokGaCexAvSIzGW1b8qnxzDuP-6-AHe6wyKnVeZ3nz-I8a4dmTc9tcJbSpEP2iH1_WK1rIhvtgLb9MPfYcb57VDrjHIBnrhKB-347PKFtj2-9j7n2uSmROSieTMn7OkhPwDcJLIwoJv-hIF4i6PB27HCf0qma-Tl3RzBkYI-qy_F25Jz7A1OO3T9mEdl1lSeSzsZLV3OvV3c3g4BtabmK_9Wm4xkrF7php34ifpm8xCokS6I5pHzY2g5q5cNQNaHCwsunGhF-fv_61-jfANweyKO3_WHZEmr0BjpJ8MkuTSVhM6vEMchEBfesRih2s3t1J1RaKSjnuSxolSrA=w651-h436-no

Sponsored Links
I would go and have a talk with a kitchen planner somewhere like wickes. They will often come and have a look and provide an no obligation quote. Pointless everyone making suggestions without knowing your taste or budget.

The style is quite dated anyway so not sure that painting or wrapping the doors etc would be worth the effort. Equally vinyl wrapping would be more difficult due to the detail of the doors. Rip it all out :)

You say you are planning to do nothing major but you are planning to replace everything except for the units , doors and handles.

I would also be swapping out the units, doors and handles too if you want it to look good.

Swapping out units is not difficult and not that expensive if you do it yourself.

I always keep my kitchens neutral (white units and doors and butchers block worktop ) so I can paint the walls any colour and it will go , useful if I fancy a change of colour but everybody is different and it's useful to visit shops to see which kitchens tickle your fancy

Sponsored Links
Painted, those units can look really very good. Wish I had a picture my parents have the same ones and they were painted in a light cream colour with new handles put on. Doing so completely transformed the kitchen. They later had a granite worktop fitted on the top. Unless you really don't like the design of the fronts they look perfectly serviceable, straight and true.

The only changes I'd make would be new light fixtures, getting rid of those blinds and a new oven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back