HELP! Why keep tripping?

Sponsored Links
Will do . RCD trips when they are not on though?! And nothing else has been added or changed in the house!

this will not matter as the RCD senses leakage to earth from the neutral , so if the lights are on or off is irrelevenant as your light switches only break the live conductor, try it and report back .

Nick

Will do. Another thing is that there are 3 lights to the landing and 3 switches. Each on can individually turn them all on or off. Each one has a neutral wire taped and disconnected. I presume this makes all 3 switches independant.

Sponsored Links
not likely..

when you say any switch can turn them on or off, do ALL the switches have to be off to turn the lights off?

if not then you have 2 way switching with an intermediate switch..

as stated, the problem seems to go deeper than just the lights..

a good sparky should be able to rule out the lighting circuit with an insulation tester..

sounds to me like it might be an immersion heater or possibly a boiler if it does it at the same time of day every time.. ( although it might "creep" a bit if it's a mechanical timer due to the power being out for a few mins.. )

Will do. Another thing is that there are 3 lights to the landing and 3 switches. Each on can individually turn them all on or off. Each one has a neutral wire taped and disconnected. I presume this makes all 3 switches independant.

Taped joints can absorb moisture into the adhesive of the tape. Most cases this just results in a sticky mess. If the sticky mess is touching both wire and say the metal back box then humidity dependant earth leakage current may occur and this could be significant to tripping the RCD.

there is a good chance that these 'neutrals ' are probably just unused cores and they have used two twins instead of a three core and earth for a 2 way switching system .

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back