Help why wont my light turn off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any one help with some advice? i got mithered to death to put up a new light fitting and a light switch (two way). The light has come on but it wont turn off and i could of sworn i followed the directions to the tee. Does any one have any ideas on what i've done, keep changing wires around and confused myself now. Cheers Bob Who Cant Build.

Sponsored Links
bobwhocantbuild said:
Does any one have any ideas on what i've done
Yup - you've done it wrong ;) :LOL:

Seriously - look at the diagrams of lighting circuits in the For Reference section.....

bobwhocantbuild said:
Can any one help with some advice? i got mithered to death to put up a new light fitting and a light switch (two way). The light has come on but it wont turn off and i could of sworn i followed the directions to the tee. Does any one have any ideas on what i've done, keep changing wires around and confused myself now. Cheers Bob Who Cant Build.

all reds connected together and all blacks connected together?

means BANG! (if light switch is switched on)

More clues needed i think. Maybe you have connected all the lives and switched lives together at the junction box, shorting out the switch no matter which position it is in? Just a thought!

Sponsored Links
My new light is wired as show in diagram:

celing.bmp

....... and the light switch is wired

plug.bmp

P.s. It shld not say back of plug but shld say back of light switch...

can anyone tell me where I have gone wrong!?!!!!

Prior to replacing the light switch worked - so does anyone know why I now no longer have a switched live? or what I can do to remedy the problem?

keyplayer said:
You have no switched live.
Just as well - if he were to get that switch sorted out, then assuming the 3 cables coming out of the ceiling are the usual loop-in, loop-out and switch, then it's BANG! time.....

you f*cked up both ends (both at the lightswitch and at the light) ;)

i'm guessing from the cables you have that one switch controlled the light you replaced and the other switch was part of a two way system controlling another light

if this is the case then the following diagram describes how it should be wired
edit: right diagram this time
old2way.png

unfortunately you now have the awkward task of figuring out which wire is which

plugwash said:
you f*cked up both ends (both at the lightswitch and at the light) ;)

i'm guessing from the cables you have that one switch controlled the light you replaced and the other switch was part of a two way system controlling another light

if this is the case then the following diagram describes how it should be wired
lamps.png

unfortunately you now have the awkward task of figuring out which wire is which

Thanks Plugwash - I will have a try with this. Can I just clarify that with the light the brown cable from my light is attached in on its own, as is the red from the mains but the blue and brown go in the connector on either side from one another?

bobwhocantbuild said:
thanks plugwash - were do I put the three green wire from the ceiling in my setup?

in the earth terminal of your light ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back