Help wiht New Wiring Scheme for Powershower and Extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone.

I really have to get this job done this Saturday, so would appreciate some expert help and advice and other than paying an electrician to do the job, I know I am going to find it here.

Anyway, the challenge…

I have a bathroom into which I have instilled H/C plumbing for a power shower and also added twin and earth cable for connecting the power shower to an electric supply so the pump operates.

Ate the moment, the other end of the twin and earth cable is coiled in the lost, but it has to be wired into the lighting ring main and I need to learn how to do this.

Secondly, I have an extractor which I am gong to place over the shower ad cit this into the ceiling. The extractor has a built-in in 12v light which is powered by the fan and I also need to wire this into the circuit.

I think the currently wiring schematic looks as per the diagram attached called “Current Wiring Schematic”

The planed wiring scheme is as per the diagram attached called “Proposed Wiring Schematic”

Can someone please advise if I am right in my planning or have I got it totally wrong?

Thanks loads

Stephen

Sponsored Links
1 you cannot wire your pump into a lighting circuit
2What zone is your fan/light rated for?
3All the work your are proposing is notifiable and you shouldn't be touching it
Sorry

after also reading your last post "my light won't switch off because I've connected it to the permanent live not the switch", I don't think for one second that you have the wherewithall to be even attempting something like this..

you first of all need to notify the LABC since you are doing electrical work in a bathroom.

secondly, as stated above, YOU CANNOT RUN A SHOWER PUMP FROM THE LIGHTING CIRCUIT!!!!

thirdly, your shower pump will be required to be fed from a supply that is RCD protected, so from an RCD protected ring main will be the eaasiest way.

fourthly, your new shower pump and extract fan will need to be incorporated into the supplimentary equipotential bonding.

This post explains why any sensible person would have the pump outside the bathroom, normally in the adjacent air cupboard to avoid the Part P issues within a wet room.

Where is the pump going to be located ? If it's under the bath could you run the cable from the shower pump through a wall in to another room and take a f/spur from a socket in that room ?

As for the fan / light it would need to be added in to your existing lighting in the room via sL, N and E. It should be notified since that is in the wet room.

Sponsored Links
There are to many compliance issues here.

It would be far easier and more importantly, safer, to get this done professionally.

At the end of the day if people are going to stand in pools of water in close proximity to electrics, then never cut corners.

Cheers,

Graham

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back