Help wiring exhaust fan/heater/light & add dehumidistat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
So I'm working on a new bathroom. I'm trying to chose the best heater/light/exhaust fan setup, but also want to add a dehumidistat outside the bathroom so the exhaust will stay on whether it's on by the switch or by the dehumidistat. Can I connect the H of the Dehumidistat directly to the output of the switch?

I think this would be bad b/c I am concerned about having that wire run between the switch and the dehumidistat when they are both hot, any phase difference would have to be dissipated by the wire as heat and that doesn't sound pleasant. (though 60Hz is pretty dang slow so maybe it doesn't matter?)

My thought would be a relay. Here is a Dwg of the circuit. Relay coil turns on with switch power disconnecting dehumidistat. Relay turns off when switch is off, then Dehumistat is connected.
DHD.jpg

For the fan/light/heater I was thinking;
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QE7F26/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=11461729296&ref=pd_sl_4g31rjn41u_e
The 1500W heater would only draw 12.5A so I think I'm good there.

For the relay I was thinking; http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/K10P-11A15-120/PB321-ND/254538 Is there a better/cheaper relay to use?

For the dehumidistat I was thinking; http://www.amazon.com/Ranco-DH55-De...ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1323574398&sr=1-1

Is this good? Am I way over thinking this as an EE and not a home wiring guy? Is there a simpler way?

Sponsored Links
Surely the humidistat should be inside the bathroom?

You'd need to refer to manufacturer's instructions to see if a manual switch can be wired in parallel with the humidistat.

There will not be a phase difference along the wire. What you have to check is that the h/stat is happy with having a live voltage presented to its output terminal when it's not actually switched on.

The relay would require a mounting base and an enclosure.

You forgot to connect the other side of the fan to neutral. Won't work if you omit that wire ;)

Surely the humidistat should be inside the bathroom?

You'd need to refer to manufacturer's instructions to see if a manual switch can be wired in parallel with the humidistat.

There will not be a phase difference along the wire. What you have to check is that the h/stat is happy with having a live voltage presented to its output terminal when it's not actually switched on.

The relay would require a mounting base and an enclosure.

You forgot to connect the other side of the fan to neutral. Won't work if you omit that wire ;)

Ya it was 2Am I forgot the netural.

I guess since the wavelength is 5Mm the phase difference would be negligible for those few inches.

Mounting bases are for girls, that's what RTV is for.

The Manufacturuer's instructions on the honeywells are pretty pathetic, only 1 figure that shows a dehumidistat.

I just took apart my current ventilator that's upstairs and it's just wired together and it's not warm to the touch.

Sponsored Links
Back