Help with 1969 soakaway pipe sizing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Please see the attached photos of a pipe that was installed in circa 1969 and runs horizontally to a soakaway.

The pipe is of (for lack of a better word) made of a china type material.

I know the photo includes a tape measure however I would appreciate thoughts on the internal and external pipe size. Additionally I would appreciate thoughts of the terminology to describe this pipe ie is it a "110mm pipe" or a "1960s soakaway pipe" etc

Kind regards

Paul

Attachments

• DSC_3848.JPG
    DSC_3848.JPG
    294.2 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC_3849.JPG
    DSC_3849.JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 113
Sponsored Links
Looks like a clay pipe pretty normal for the time, size wise 110mm is a standard size and both plastic and clay replacements are readily available.

Hi All,

Please see the attached photos of a pipe that was installed in circa 1969 and runs horizontally to a soakaway.

The pipe is of (for lack of a better word) made of a china type material.

I know the photo includes a tape measure however I would appreciate thoughts on the internal and external pipe size. Additionally I would appreciate thoughts of the terminology to describe this pipe ie is it a "110mm pipe" or a "1960s soakaway pipe" etc

Kind regards

Paul
Standard 4" (internal measurement) clay pipe. Fittings are available to connect from plastic to old salt glaze. There are plastic fittings available and rubber jubilee clip type. We prefer the 'Fernco' rubber couplers as these have a nice snug fit.

When we were digging the foundations for our front extension, we came across a clay pipe that was running across the corner of where the footings were going. The sections were just butted up to each other. We called the building inspector and he said it was a 'land drain'. He told us to smash out the section that was crossing our footings, replace it with a section of plastic pipe that slipped over the clay pipe and pack the ends with clay to seal it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back