Help with a Loft Dilema

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently moved house and have done a fair bit of work in it. The insulation within the loft was tiny so got rid of it and gave the loft a bit of a clean up. As the Joist are only 3" and at a later date I wanted to board the loft I put new 100mm loft insulation in so that I didn't squash 250mm insulation down.

The problem I have found is that last winter when there was an old door lying flat in the loft on top of the joists (or any wood for that matter) I got condensation between the new insulation and the wood. I now want to board the loft but I am worried that I will get condensation under the boards that may over time cause damage?.

Do I need to raise the height of the joists and insulate to the full 250mm or do I need to just cross batten to allow an air gap between the insulation and the boards?.

Any advice would be helpful.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back