Help with a new oven - dimensions!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We had an old Cata single oven from B&Q which gave up the ghost. I remember looking for a replacement and then grabbing the exact same one again.

Fast forward to now, and this latest Cata has died also.

The issue I have is that the carcass depth is only 555mm in depth. I purchased a Zanussi, and a Hoover oven which all seemed to be the right dimensions only to find they failed to fit.

Now, I can find some at 540mm depth, however I'm REALLY worried about the gap at the back of the oven. The Zanussi I purchased sat right up against the wall so that was a no brainer I think. The hoover seemed to fit fine, but I doubt there was a clearance of more than a couple of mm, perhaps 1-2cm.

My question is really for people who know about these sorts of things. I want to get a nice new oven, but how much attention should I actually pay to the "minimum gap" shown in the manuals? Some of them suggest 20mm and others 80mm....realistically, are there any safety concerns if the gap is smaller?

One final question - our previous ovens have been 13a plug ovens. I've found one oven (just 1!) that sits at 510mm depth but needs a 16a fuse and therefore needs an isolated socket. Now I know I can't do that, but can somebody talk me through how difficult it might be to obtain? Do we need to run it on it's own circuit?

Any help with any of the above will be met with congratulations and offers of some sort of sacrifice to appease the Oven Gods! We're really desperate here and Currys, B&Q, et al, are ZERO help!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes needs to be on its own cooker 'ring'.

You really need to establish what fuse is currently supplying your cooker outlet and whether the wiring is sufficient. 32A fuse.

This question would probably be better answered in the 'electrics uk' section.

A new installation or modification in a kitchen comes under Part 'P' Building regs. I.e running a new cooker circuit or making alterations to your existing cooker cct.

Sorry can't advise regarding dimensions other than there are safety reasons and thats why minimum clearances are advised afterall it is a cooker and will get hot and requires sufficient air circulation for cooling. Just think of the consequences!
Not that I am one to always stick to rules and regulations but wouldn't advise differently here on this one.
Its for you to decide if the clearances are suitable and consider the type of material the carcass is constructed from. Brick or metal enclosure would have different implications as opposed to wood. Wood requiring the max distances.

Sponsored Links
Upgrade consumer unit or stick with what you have, 13A.

Are you sure you don't already have a separate cooker cct?

So has a blanking plate on the consumer unit thats labelled 'Cooker', instead of a fuse/mcb.

Is it an 8-way consumer unit, so potentially you could have 8 ccts on the board?

If you switch off the gnd floor socket ring does the cooker still work?
Are all the ccts on the consumer unit labelled correctly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back