Help With A Rookie Error...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Picture 2 lengths of deck board, parallel on edge.
Picture 2 more bits about a foot long, meant to screw up to make a long, thin rectangle, a deck board deep.

Whatever I do, including screwing up on a very flat surface, my long thing rectangle has a twist in it!

What am I doing wrong; or can I reasonably blame the boards? I ask that seriously, 'cos when doing a deck recently, there was a curve in loads of the boards, but over 12', I could pull them into line.

Cheers

CG

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Try clamping things together before you screw them together. Can make all the difference

You making a sort of long thin coffin? Check your end cuts are dead square, run a straight edge over the faces of the boards, good odds you'll have a bit of cupping going on

You making a sort of long thin coffin? Check your end cuts are dead square, run a straight edge over the faces of the boards, good odds you'll have a bit of cupping going on

I think you have it... Been looking again. I'm making sun loungers for family out of decking undercarriage and scraps for slats; from pallets to surplus oak flooring. I'll have a really close look at the next one, especially the ends. I have a table saw, but the slidy-forward-carriage do-da isn't the tightest fit for perfect parallel. Cheers all.

CG

Make a square out of 12/18" ply
Cut a couple of bits of 2x2 each 2-3" short of the 12/18
Fix them to two edges of the square, making a gap where the two would meet, of about 2" on each.

Then clamp the timber that you want to fix into the corner so they don't move and screw together
If using bigger timber you can adjust the dimensions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back