Built a decking...a few afterthoughts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I built a decking recently where my grass used to be, it is approx 7m in length and 3.5m wide. In total approx 40 posts went in over 5 rows and the joists were run long ways. Now to prevent slipping (thought about the way of the foot traffic etc and this was best) I ran the deck boards parallel with the joist with noggins inserted every 400mm which are both nailed and screwed.

There is no bounce at all and appears to be very very strong under the feet, I know this is not best practice but will this be ok with my noggin spacing etc?

Sponsored Links
Why on earth did you do it that way? If the noggins are very secure then it should be ok but Short lengths of noggin will be more prone to twisting splitting etc than solid timbers.

Not to mention it being so much extra work?

Why on earth did you do it that way? If the noggins are very secure then it should be ok but Short lengths of noggin will be more prone to twisting splitting etc than solid timbers.

Not to mention it being so much extra work?

Dont ask!!!

I asked someone to put the posts in to speed things up a bit as i was working alot at the time. (I was away)
They were in a straight line long ways (the way the joists run now) and not straight the other way.
I more or less built ladder frames side by side as I felt the distance between the joists were to large. Hence why I built the ladder frames. I also wanted to keep it low as possible, so the ladder frame/noggin type construction was the only way. Yes it was alot of work mate.

I used 150mm x 50mm treated timbers for joists & noggins/ladder construction and again they are both screwed and nailed.

It should be ok, the only problem being localized bumps caused by twisting and bowing of the short noggins, but if they are screwed too it should be alright

Sponsored Links
I'm just in the early stages of planning my decking. What sort did you go for? Where abouts did you get it from?

I initially bought boards from B&Q and sent it straight back as soon as it was delivered, they were shocking and was told to 'power wash' them to remove the mould. I dont think so.
I got 32mm boards from a local timber merchant and they are far superior quality to the ones B&Q delivered. It pays to shop about these local timber merchants I have found.

Thanks aawales

Would you go for them ahead of say Richard Burbidge? Been told they are good quality but also quite pricey...

Don't mind shelling out if it's going to be good quality, don't want a B & Q nightmare!

Never heard of Richard Burbidge to be honest. I would ask about to see if anyone recommends anyone to you.

b and q timber is awful, their decking is only 28mm thick but is the same price as builders merchant or timber merchant and they use 32mm. This is how B&Q make their margins count. Try buying a tube of gripfill at the merchant and the same one at B&Q and compare. Looks similar price is similar buts its about 20 percent less in it.

b and q timber is awful, their decking is only 28mm thick but is the same price as builders merchant or timber merchant and they use 32mm. This is how B&Q make their margins count. Try buying a tube of gripfill at the merchant and the same one at B&Q and compare. Looks similar price is similar buts its about 20 percent less in it.

The stuff I had delivered was not 28mm thick. The stuff I looked at in Wickes was 28mm thick and was obvious it was thicker than the B&Q stuff.

I wonder what thickness it was :confused:

I put up a fence for a customer a few years ago and they supplied about half the fence boards which were left over from another fence they did themselves. Within 3 months the timber has shrunk so badly there was gaps between the boards of 30mm and i had left 10mm. Never again

They do a special exotic pine though aka 'banana pine'

I put up a fence for a customer a few years ago and they supplied about half the fence boards which were left over from another fence they did themselves. Within 3 months the timber has shrunk so badly there was gaps between the boards of 30mm and i had left 10mm. Never again

They do a special exotic pine though aka 'banana pine'

Ha!! @ Banana pine

Yeah the stuff they have is terrible. I was in looking at sleepers the other day and they were split right down the middle to the point they will fall apart soon and they wanted full price for them. Good for fire wood and that was about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back