Help with actuator wiring please!

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi, can anyone help me, i tried changing the head off the CH valve as i changed the HW one before and it went fine but i think i f^&*d up this time. Before i changed it i drew were each cable was previously or so i thought. :(

everything is working except CH act. and with this setup the thermostat light was constantly on
Capture1_zpsjhle9b6c.jpg

Sponsored Links
I tried to fault find using this
Central-heating.bmp
diagram, however I found although the diagram shows just one switch that was not the case when I opened up the motorised valve.

As a result logic did not work as to what wire should be live and what should be dead and if live as to linked to neutral or line. Once I realised my error I changed the motorised valve and all worked as it should.

The other problem is with a three port valve you have two types one is either/or the other has a mid position, plus it seems there are also variations in the micro switches included. I seem to remember there are different colours to cables according to internal wiring, however it is so long ago I can't remember what they were.

its a condensing boiler im not going rewire the whole lot just the CH wires

Sponsored Links
Why are the blue and grey wires crossed like that? The 2 blues should go to neutral, the 2 greys to permanent live. The 2 oranges to boiler the brown from the heating actuator to switch live from the room stat, the brown from hot water valve to the switch live from the cylinder stat.

Your block with numbers could mean anything, the standard Honeywell wiring centre layout is often not followed.

Just in case you have obscure valves could you please tell us the model of the actuators?

thanks for the reply not sure why but the HW is wired correctly so just looking how to do the CH one the actuators are Sauter EPH controls

It should just be a matter of swapping the blue and grey wires over on the heating valve, (assuming there are no mistakes in your drawing) please post a photo of the wiring centre first though.

What exactly is the problem?
Does the valve work but not switch the boiler or does it not move at all?

If you have done one correctly, the other is exactly the same connections except for the brown wire.

could be just that should be no mistakes.......have to look for the diagram first cant find it thats why i was posting to get some help cheers

should be able to download the diagram?

If the right model:

upload_2016-2-15_16-38-27.png

They are normally Grey 230V and Orange to boiler but that wouldn't make any difference.

the problem is when changing the actuator for the CH i mixed some wires up so when i went down stairs the therosta light was on even you put it at 0 deg so
i went over to the timer clock and that light turned but boiler wouldnt fire up.

The only ones i could of crossed would be Gr and Bl as there close together in 3 and 4

Yes that's what I said :LOL: You are lucky the valve can't open in this condition as if they were both open there would be a bang and at least some damage!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back