Help with artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have notice some cracks in my ceiling which is artexed i have been told to fill in the cracks and re paint the ceiling but can i just paint back over the ceiling with a roller or could anyone suggest what i could use

P.s can anyone give me any feeback if im doing this right many thanks :D

Sponsored Links
You can paint an artexed ceiling with a roller no problem, but if you just "fill up" the cracks, they will re-appear soon afterwards.... I'm assuming the ceiling is plasterboard??

Roughcaster.

Hi roughcaster yeah the ceiling is plasterbord what would u suggest for me to do please as i dont really want them to come back

p.s someone said the cracks could be being the cause of thermo cracking

Cheers rob

Try rubbing a bit of decorators caulk into the crack and wipe off with a cloth. when dry repaint. The caulk is flexible and will give a little. These types of cracks are difficult to get rid. It depends on how much flex is inthe ceiling, wether or not the ceiling was scrim taped properly when plastered. Larger room bungalow ceilings are usually the worst.

Sponsored Links
It could be caused by that (thermo cracking), who knows, but simply filling cracks with filler will not stop them re-appearing. The cracks will be following the joints in the plasterboard. Most advice on here, would be for putting more screws into the boards/joists, re-taping over the joints/cracks and then PVA and skim the whole ceiling over with plaster. This is the ultimate way for repairing a "cracked artex ceiling". Artex is impossible to patch without it being noticeable. If it was just a flat ceiling, it could be repaired without the need to plaster it over. It depends what what you want really. Whatever you do though, get a couple of quotes if you get someone in to do the job. All the best to you. ;)

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back