Help With Barn Lighting

If I used low energy low watt lights. Could I run then
all of one mcb?? As there would be less load?

Sponsored Links
Sodium / metal halide discharge lights are the very most economical type of lighting when comparing the amount of power required with the amount of light outputted.

Low pressure sodium the best of all.

The cows will look a funny colour though.

Sponsored Links
How much of a priority is colour rendering? Does the vet ever attend to the animals in the barn?

You still haven't said how big the barn is, so we still can't advise how many fittings you might need.

The thing is, it is a big barn, probs 30mts x 50mts. BUT the farmer only
needs lighting in certain parts of the barn. I.e where the cows are fed etc.

Where the lights are is 4.5mts high aprox.

The bigger floods were to light up a general open area of the barn. Just to give some light

I suppose colour rendering isn't much of an issue, but who wants an orange light!!!!! Vet probably attends every now and then, over the cow pen where the vet would be I was going to fit a higher power flood!

Again, this farmer is a cheapskate! Big time.

Basically I need to know how to carryout the job for the smallest amount of dosh.

At 4.5M, I would expect a 400W low bay to light about a 3 to 4M diameter floor area well, and maybe a meter or so beyond this not very well.

I know exactly what cheapskates farmers can be. I have worked for plenty :LOL:

Personally, I'd put in one 400W MH low bay, and let him see what he thinks. You can then work out with him what lighting levels he requires, and how many (few) fittings you need.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the information. I really appriciate the time spent on this query.

Let you know how it goes.

Atilla - I did not write "Please don't start that.why not?".

Please don't make false statements.

please dont be starting areguments on here boys.

i have decided to buy a 2 x 26w low energy flood light and see how it looks. work a shot i recon, seeing as though the client isn't too fussed about the amount of light.

I suppose colour rendering isn't much of an issue, but who wants an orange light!!!!! Vet probably attends every now and then, over the cow pen where the vet would be I was going to fit a higher power flood!
Does it matter? I dont think cows go a funny colour when ill, like we do!

please dont be starting areguments on here boys.

i have decided to buy a 2 x 26w low energy flood light and see how it looks. work a shot i recon, seeing as though the client isn't too fussed about the amount of light.
I'd say 52 watts of fluorescent will pack a good punch, but in a small area. I saw one of these running at B&Q yesterday, they do kick out some light!

Spot on. And the low energy flouro will be able to be wire like normal lights without contactors etc?!!

Atilla - I did not write "Please don't start that.why not?".

Please don't make false statements.

no - you told someone not to do something, I asked you why you said that (at last count you wern`t the daddy) in the same manner as the original person to pee you off.

to the real sparks - I seem to remember different wiring rules for agri. buildings ............. is that still the case?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back